Auto Garage doors

Timmay Zoom Zoom

Hi All, looking for some advice/options.

I am lucky enough to have a double garage (was on the wish list of the house we have just moved into). Both garage doors are old and just about working but not sure how long for. I wanted to get replacements and thought might as well automate them whilst I am at it. I have had a few quotes and best I can get for 2 x up and over doors (Steel Georgian style with new steel frames) automated is around £2300. This was way over what I planned for, didn't realise how much these would cost!

Anyway, does anybody have any advice on what to buy or what to avoid, and ideally is a supplier in North Hampshire/Berkshire who could come up trumps with a price for supply and install etc.

I look forward to hearing from the wiser folks of this forum, before I splash out.

I bought an electric shutter from here and fitted it myself, piece of cake. Less than £400 for a single garage

http://www.rollerdor.net/

I bought mine through ebay as they sell on their as well

• Like 1

Good call Gary, been looking into this too. Mainly for security and insulation reasons

So easy to fit too, I will probably ask for a fitted price too

Andy

I have two - one from Screwfix which was less than £200 and straightforward to fit, and one I got from MOTCO for free on this forum!  Both work fine.

£2300  naaaaahhh!  :d

Mooch, were these roller doors, or up and over jobs. Whats the general consensus on what's best/better? 

I prefer a roller shutter as then I dont keep hitting my turnip on the bottom of the up and over door when it is in the up position 

Depends what you want - the strongest/most insulated by far is a sectional double skinned

I recently bought a Garador Sectional (premium) fully electric - https://www.garador.co.uk/garador-range/sectional-doors/linear-medium-designs/timber-effect-(premium).aspx

Loads of options, I needed timber effect to match the windows and I wanted insulated to keep me warm!  It has seals all round so I get no leaves. - ignore the prices on there depends who you get to fit it. Its a well made piece of kit.  Basic white is much cheaper though.

Up and over doors are cheap and a little bit crap - easy to break in unless you pay for one of the few insurance approved ones.  - I paid about £1200 for a single but it has the faster motor and timber foil finish, my in laws had one door but double width for about £1800, up and over were much cheaper than this.  Sectional doors are also useful as they usually fit behind the brickwork so you gain extra entrance width over up and overs with a frame.

Mooch, were these roller doors, or up and over jobs. Whats the general consensus on what's best/better? 

Up and over jobs.  If I had the choice, I think roller shutters would be best, mainly on security grounds.  With up and overs, you have to disconnect the side latches so not ideal in that respect.  

I have insulated sectional garage doors on mine. Fitted 15 years ago and a quick wash makes them look like new again. Plus the insulation means I can keep the garage nice and toasty in the winter when working on upgrades.

I've got one, have also connected it via a Wemo switch to be controlled by my phone

If you go for the roller door make sure you have plenty of space between your roof and the top of the door opening as they usually require a space of approximately 450mm to roll up into whereas a sectional door slides over on runners that hang from the roof/ceiling

If you go for the roller, make sure it has a locking mechanism when fully down. Some cheap roller doors don't have one and can be forced open with a car jack. Mine has a sort of elbow arrangement that stops any possibility of the door being forced up.

Real problem with DIYing it, is the standard up and over doors are seriously heavy with large insanely strong springs loaded up top, these things will happily take your head off if you just start randomly unbolting everything.

Real problem with DIYing it, is the standard up and over doors are seriously heavy with large insanely strong springs loaded up top, these things will happily take your head off if you just start randomly unbolting everything.

That is exactly why I employed a company to remove my old up and overs! My new ones are Sereuroglide Compact. £3k for a pair fitted.

I've just had a quote from a local company for a roller shutter type - had to be brown to match the windows, I don't have an internal door so I need the emergency release, all in £1200. Its insulated and double skinned and has 2 remotes. Quote:

To remove existing garage door and subframe, Remove from site. To supply and fit 1 rosewood midi roller insulated garage door, rosewood subframe and fascia, door monitor system with courtesy light, fully automated with 2 remote controls, back box and emergency external release - £1200

Edited by Northwarks