Quick Seight Question

Josh H

Hi folks - I'm doing some research on Seight cars at the moment and have come across some info that suggests that the factory would only supply them fully built or as a rolling chassis. It's the latter part that interests me; firstly, is that correct and secondly could anyone clarify what defines a 'rolling chassis', ie what parts were factory fitted.

Thank you.

I can't really help with the rolling chassis aspect but I purchased my SEiGHT chassis starter kit in 2014 new from the factory. It isn't a model they push but still have all the necessary jigs etc to fabricate it. My chassis even has the stronger rear end of the latter chassis and the lowered floors.

Hope that helps.

I have a Seight, I didn't build it myself but have the build pictures from the previous owner.  It was certainly not a rolling chassis looking at the pictures.  Mine is a 2002 car.  So I presume they could be built from a kit?

Hope this helps

Jas

I built mine from a starter kit although a rolling chassis was still an option back in 2002 when i ordered it. I think the kit SeiGHT was quite a new idea back then and previously you could only buy a turn-key or rolling chassis.

From memory (and I may get some of this wrong) the rolling chassis was the chassis with panels, brakes, suspension, steering and pedals fitted I can't remember if they included the diff or not. I think you got the bodywork as well for around £10K, and could choose to have it fitted or not on collection. You then had to source anything else you wanted and fit it at home. I still have the original sales brochure from 1999/2000 somewhere so I'll have a look.

Luke.

Looking back at my 2003 price list, the year I bought my previous kit, the SEiGHT was in full kit form, just like any other SEi. But I do remember the days when it was rolling chassis only.

I don't know if the SEiGHT rolling chassis was any different, but typically the WSC rolling chassis package was:

Powder coated chassis and suspension, aluminium panels fitted, along with exterior aluminium side panels.

Pedal box, (top mounted pedal set) fitted, master cylinder and brake lines fitted, along with flexible brake hoses.

Steering rack fitted, along with upper and lower columns, steering lock etc.

Front suspension assembled and fitted, (Westfield uprights, hubs, discs, callipers, front wishbone, ball joints, track rod ends, dampers and springs).

Rear suspension assembled and fitted, including rear uprights and wishbones, disc brakes, hand brake and cable.

The bodywork would be positioned on the chassis if collecting at the same time, ready for the customer to fit and fettle.

The SEiGHT was kept very tightly controlled in the early days, it's hard to remember now we've got used to higher powered Westfields, just how far out there it was when launched. You went from Cross flow, to Pinto, (can't just remember if the CVH was out at that point, to the V8 monster!

Back in those first days of its launch, the factory was so worried about poorly build examples, or wrongly built examples that they did indeed limit the amount of work the customer needed to do, so that they could be sure the basic suspension and braking system were up to the job.

In fact, they were so concerned about "bodged" copies, that at one point, they actually notified insurers of the proper "pukka" SEiGHT chassis numbers. Presumably to try and block home brewed copies from being called SEiGHTs!

yes early days it had to be rolling chassis ,but now days you can do it yourself.  this might be the reason you wont get a build manual for the v8