Remote Brake Servo - worth fitting?

Ian Bunker

I have a SE Narrow with a single brake master cylinder.

Has anyone fitted a remote brake servo such as supplied by Car Builder Solutions for under £200?  

It seems fairly straightforward to fit and plumb in and has a bleed screw.  

Any comments, hints, fitting tips would be very much appreciated.

The car has Midilite twin pot discs at the front and drums at the rear. Belated Happy New Year to all. Thanks 

Ian B. 

Many years ago I had a go at driving someones Robin Hood, a similar size and style of car. This had the master cylinder and servo from Its donor. I found it very hard to brake, with the fronts locking up almost instantly with only a slight touch on the pedals. I suppose with more miles driven I could have adjusted to the feel, but I felt it just didn't need the servo.

You have to push a bit harder, but you have good control and feel of the braking force on my Westy with the standard master cylinder and Cortina M16 front calipers. You can take them all the way to lock up no problem. It feels different from the heavily servo'd brakes on most modern production cars, but I prefer it that way.

Do you know, or can you measure the diameter and hence surface area of the pistons in the front calipers on your car? The area ratio compared with the master cylinder pistons would be useful to compare with other Westfields. It may be that the Midilites need a different master cylinder to get a reasonable force for your leg to press when braking.

Jen

• Like 1

Many many thanks Jen. Very helpful and makes total sense. I think i will stick with what i have and not waste the money. I love my "narrow" - its a min classic 

Regards 

Ian 

The Robin Hood mentioned above using a Sierra servo would be way over assisted in a light kit car!

If the servo your on about is designed for a light kit car it should give you a nicely assisted brake pedal

My advice is don't do it. Get used to driving your Westy - you will grow in confidence and be able to use the brake pedal all the way from a light tickle to the point when it all starts to lock up. BTW the latter should be avoided!

My advice is don't do it. Get used to driving your Westy - you will grow in confidence and be able to use the brake pedal all the way from a light tickle to the point when it all starts to lock up. BTW the latter should be avoided!