FW400

Andrew

I seem to remember one went abroad, possibly to Japan.

There were definitely two "active" ones in the UK going back five or six years.

The white one is owned by a guy called crunchie gears..paul...anyone interested??? Martin

• 1 year later...

My brother an I are the owners of the car.

i believe that 2 of the five are in Japan.  Martin Ogilvie old me that one had been modified with push rod front suspension which he thought was not an improvement. 

There has been one that had a problem at the Nurburgring and caught fire.  I believe it has been restored but was very modified.

So that leaves one we do not know in the UK.

As for weight, this car was 417 Kgs with half a tank of fuel and fully wet before we added the dry sump system.  We would be happy to put in on a scales for serious buyers.  That said it is now on Toyo R800 and the are heavier than the Avon CR 500s we weighed it with (more then 8 Kgs).   We have also treated the car to some titanium nut and bolts and some aluminum bolts as the key to this car is the weight and the flat changes with the hewland gearbox.

How fast is it?  My brother and I have a 750bhp Ultima and other than big curcuits it is as quick in my opinion.

Check this out as t comes out behind a Caterham R500. Search YouTube for  "Silverstone a few wet laps Ian Payne fW400" !   That is a car!

Just watched the video. 

Due respect to keeping the car pointed the right way.  Biggest "take away" note for me though was how difficult the gearbox seemed, especially changing down from 3rd to 2nd gear (assuming 2nd and 3rd are in the normal H pattern on an FW400).  Several times 2nd gear didn't engage.

I understand the Hewland transaxle setup but the video just doesn't do it any favours.  I'm guessing normal road use would be a nightmare.

Just my opinion of course.

I nearly bought an FW400 that was for sale at Paul Matty in the early 2000's - think it was about £22k at that time - I had just got divorced and had a lump of cash burning a hole in my pocket

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.