garytipping

Pre Lit Ally bodied - Build Thread

Hi All,

I'm just getting going on the build of a 1986 aluminium bodied pre-lit car. I'm the fourth owner of this kit, but it's never been built!

This is how it looked when I got it home. It still has the protective film on some of the body panels. As it had been on for 29 years it was very reluctant to come off. I eventually found out that petrol would shift it (no you don't set fire to it). I've made some progress since then and stripped out the front suspension, that is Triumph, and the back axle that is Marina / Ital. More pictures later.

023_zpseu9q7lmw.jpg?1449508054676&144950

• Like 3

Hi Again,

Once the front and rear suspension components were stripped out, I turned the car over and prepared and primed the aluminium floor and removed all the old paint from the back axle and primed that.

All the radius arms, wishbones and panhard rod are at various stages of stripping, priming and painting.

Made my first visit to the factory last Friday, found the parts department very helpful and also had the 17 old metalastic bushes pressed out ready to be replaced with nylon.

Tracking down the parts I need for the Marina rear brakes is proving 'interesting', parts for the Triumph front end are easier to obtain.

The back axle will be black and the floor grey, I'm not staying with the pink theme.

Thanks for the interest, more soon.

063_zpsxd1o0qqg.jpg?1449522659714&144952

061_zpss9mkgkd0.jpg?1449522659714&144952

Hi Gary, agree with Chris Smith on the rear bushes, all advice I've had with my live axle Westy is to stick with metalastic bushes, better compliance. I'm going nylon up front but will stay with metalastic at the rear. See you Thursday?

Barny

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies, and advice re the bushes. I had stuck to metalastic for the panhard rod but will re think the radius arms now and fit the nylon at the front.

The car has never been built so I will have to IVA it. This will present a few 'challenges' like which steering column configuration to use and how to fit headrests while maintaining the 'old school' look.

I saw the body / chassis advertised on ebay, and couldn't resist it. It was a bonus it came with the Marina back axle / suspension and a good deal of the Triumph front end. I'm trying to keep it as period as possible with minimal changes to comply with current IVA.

The chassis is stamped JB 35 W7 and the body LSS JFB, if anyone can throw any light on what they mean I would be very interested to know.

I'll update soon.

Regards

Gary

Hi Barny,

Hope to make it over on Thursday, but it might be later.

See you then.

Regards

Gary

• Like 1

The chassis is stamped JB 35 W7

JB = initials of the fabricator who welded the chassis

35 = chassis number 35

W7 = Westfield Seven

You will probably need to get yourself a 17 digit VIN number for IVA.

• Like 1