Sprint / Hillclimb event awards-

mark.anson

Does anyone know how much the glassware awards cost that are presented at Sprint and hillclimb events per unit.

Went into the loft at home today and found a box full of glasses,and various other trophies I have accumulated over the past 10 years of competing.

Im sure most of us who have competed and have been reasonably successful will have accumulated plenty of awards that are just not used or displayed.

It just got me thinking that I would much rather have the choice of, for example, a mug, or tin of WD40, or some other cheapish but useful consumable item that could be used in the garage or on the car or at least have some use.

Even a Halfrauds voucher or similar.

I remember a few years ago Loton presented a small thermos mug or a flask to the winning competitors which every was pleased with.

Is there any reason the clubs don't do this.

It would be another way of clubs sponsors to get a bit more involved too should they wish to.

There would also be an argument for recycling the awards that don't have year date onto save the club cash. I would certainly be happy to hand a few back rather than have them live in the loft !

Discuss !

I will have one off you mark :d  :d :d  :d  

I will have one off you mark :d  :d :d  :d

Me too, it's the only way I'll ever win one. :(

For those of us that struggle really hard to win stuff like that, (and rarely ever do), the tiny handful I posses for different things all have pride of place and are important to me, I wouldn't want to deprive anyone of that. 

I have eave one or two mugs from SS events, never won any award type glass ware for those, and I keep the mugs displayed just like the glassware would be for those more fortunate.

Dave

I understand your point,and I'm not advocating depriving anyone if they want a traditional type of trophy. In fact a few the trophies I won in my first couple of year are still on display, and Im proud of them.

My point is that after several years competing I have accumulated a lot which jet find their way into a box.

Im far from being the most successful and i know others are in a similar position.

Just thought i would canvas others opinions on whether they would rather receive something useful as an alternative.

Don't some organising clubs offer the choice of awards or discount off next entry?

Don't some organising clubs offer the choice of awards or discount off next entry?

Yes - the MAC do this. When entering you can opt for credits towards next years entries or to have a trophy at the end of the year. I opt for the credit points and 4 class wins this year netted me £108 towards next years entry fees at MAC events

Sad as it may be but I too have boxes of trophies in the loft that will never see the light of day again and Most of this years are still in their boxes in the motorhome. Mrs L vets them first before they are allowed in the house :oops:

Sad as it may be but I too have boxes of trophies in the loft that will never see the light of day again and Most of this years are still in their boxes in the motorhome. Mrs L vets them first before they are allowed in the house :oops:

Maybe Mrs L needs to go in the loft John :oops:  :oops:  (Yes, that's how brave I am!!)

• Like 1

This is one of the saddest threads I've read in a while, for reasons I won't discuss because it will probably just get people's backs up. However, much care, time and thought goes into the selection and production of the awards trophies - it isn't just a case of going into a trophy shop and saying "screw 'em, that'll do". The great trophies, the splendid awards night event, the addition of the winners podium and professional photos last year and a surprise addition this year which we hope you'll like (and not stick forgotten into a box) are all done not because the team HAS to do it, but because they WANT to make you proud and happy of your accomplishments. The thought that it doesn't mean anything to some people any more or that the trophies are consigned to attics and dusty cupboards for whatever reason either depresses or angers me, I'm not sure which, because in a way it unintentionally belittles the hard work and efforts of the organisers who get no reward apart from the reactions of the competitors.

Not having a go at anyone at all, once a trophy is yours you can do what you like with it, but please remember the great people behind it all - I certainly do and appreciate all they do, as I'm sure do you.

• Like 4

This is one of the saddest threads I've read in a while, for reasons I won't discuss because it will probably just get people's backs up. However, much care, time and thought goes into the selection and production of the awards trophies - it isn't just a case of going into a trophy shop and saying "screw 'em, that'll do". The great trophies, the splendid awards night event, the addition of the winners podium and professional photos last year and a surprise addition this year which we hope you'll like (and not stick forgotten into a box) are all done not because the team HAS to do it, but because they WANT to make you proud and happy of your accomplishments. The thought that it doesn't mean anything to some people any more or that the trophies are consigned to attics and dusty cupboards for whatever reason either depresses or angers me, I'm not sure which, because in a way it unintentionally belittles the hard work and efforts of the organisers who get no reward apart from the reactions of the competitors.

Not having a go at anyone at all, once a trophy is yours you can do what you like with it, but please remember the great people behind it all - I certainly do and appreciate all they do, as I'm sure do you.

Blame Mark Anson then. He started it :getmecoat:

Well here's my perspective, for what it's worth - this is my first season of competing and I am ridiculously excited about the awards do on Saturday, partly because it is so fondly talked of within the club (online and at meets), partly because I get to see all the great people I've met this year again, and partly because I came third in class B - and that means an award! An award that will be treasured and displayed proudly in a new trophy cabinet (old DVD cabinet! :d ) alongside my second in class trophy from Blyton and my best novice trophy from three sisters. I'm very, very proud of those, and of anything else that may come my way in the future.

The best novice trophy was a cut glass tumbler, which I now use for a particularly tasty ale, port, whiskey etc on special occasions, and i love it!

While I fully appreciate that others may get tired of trophies after years of success, I know that will never be me. My dad was the same - he still has all his trophies from karting, golf, sports as a youngster etc on display and part of the reason I'm doing this is to emulate him. I loved staring up at his collection of trophies, accomplishments and achievements, thinking my dad's the greatest, and I want to have some treasures like that for my time on earth too.

So for me, please keep the trophies going - they mean a lot to me personally and I know to many others too.

• Like 4

I have 3 long shelves full of trophies on display and a small select few are allowed to go on the Sideboard after vetting

I do not have any in the loft or garage  :d

• Like 3

Agree Barny

IMO they're important memories not to be forgotten.

I still have all my past meddles/awards/trophies and they're all treasures.

• Like 3

I only have 3 and they are all much appreciated.

Having said that I have observed that the quality does vary massively from event to event.  There was a lot of discussion on uphill racers about one venue switching to cheaper 'medallions'

I have all my trophies on "The Windowsill of Glory" which I walk past every day, and it makes me smile inside, plus a selected few in the living room. 

The windowsill is a bit crowded  :p so I am planning to put some shelves up in the stairwell.

The awards do mean a lot - not just the trophy itself, but the presentation at the end of an event and enjoying the approbation of your peers.  I make a point of staying for every one, even if I've not won an award, to applaud those who have.  In 10 years of sprinting I've missed only one, this year, to repair my car for the next day at a different event and it killed me to do so.  That said, I'm not trying to make others feel guilty about not staying for the awards for whatever reason - just saying that I get almost as much pleasure from watching others collect their trophies as I do from getting one myself. And I treasure each and every one.

• Like 3