Sprint / Hillclimb event awards-

mark.anson

In truthfulness rather than jest, I do tend to display the nicer ones - the WSCC ones are particularly nice and always have been. I also get excited about the annual WSCC awards doo and have done since I first began. Its usually a great evening.

A pet hate of mine (although I have become guilty myself once or twice) is when people cannot be bothered to stay until the end of an event and collect their trophies as this adds burden to the organisers to find a way to get it to them and shows some disrespect IMO to the event, organisers and fellow competitors which grates me. The only times I have left early is at Pembrey before the top 12 runoff which drags on if you are not involved and they open the gates to let you out across the track before it commences and at Llys Y Fran and the last Anglesey on the Sunday this year with a long drive ahead to get home. On these few occasions I did send my apologies to the organisers before leaving.

I still have boxes full in the attic though :oops:  :laugh:

I went to Jersey on holiday in September and visited the Nigel Mansell museum and all of his trophies right from when he started karting were on display. I best keep mine in case I become famous and have my own museum.... :rolleyes:

• Like 4

All my awards are on a shelf in the kitchen/breakfast room, in fact they are within sight as I type this! I'm proud of them, and want to see them. Plaques are at the basck of the shelf, with glasses tankards etc. in front. I usually use one of the glasses for my nightcap! I do mean trophies, mugs for entering are in the kitchen mug cupboard, and tend to be used if I want a mug of coffee in the garage or garden, or for giving trades people a mug of coffee or tea in!

• Like 1

most of mine are in the front room display cabinet  ,but run out of room now so some have been removed only because of space .

like others have said its good for  fond memories of good battles. best ones always come from wscc. and looking forward to getting more in future if possible.

I also always try and stay for awards at end of event apart from the real distance events for me like Anglesey.

otherwise I would not get home till after midnight.

• Like 1

Scott I feel you have missed my point somewhat.

This is NOT about the annual awards do where clearly a lot if effort and thought goes into the awards, and if I was lucky enough to win one it would take pride of place in my living room.

The quality of the awards last year was exceptional and I've no doubt this year will be the same.

Neither is it a go at ANY of the efforts of the organisers of the awards do or for that matter the events themselves.

I was lucky enough to be part of the SSOT a few seasons ago so I have some insight as to what's involved.

I still display the trophies I won in my first full season and I'm proud of them. They probably mean the most to me and winning a nice trophy in my first few seasons encouraged me to carry on sprinting and get more involved, and I understand why some folk would still want a traditional trophy.

As others have mentioned my pet hate is people who leave before the awards presentation as I think it shows a bit of disrespect to the volunteers who have organised the event..

However as John has said it can get to the point where there either simply isn't room to display them or SWMBO put their foot down and say enough is enough.

I simply started this thread to discuss whether for the in season events (and not just the wscc events) whether the clubs could offer an alternative to glassware for something that may get used rather than end up in a box.

If for example mugs were presented I would likely use it every day at home, have a couple in the motorhome, have one at work etc and it would remind me of the event whenever I used it.

I too think its a shame that many of the trophies awarded end up in a box instead of bring used or displayed.

• Like 1

I have 3 long shelves full of trophies on display and a small select few are allowed to go on the Sideboard after vetting

I do not have any in the loft or garage  :d

but are they all yours :)
  • Like 5

Phil

They are all mine. I only pick up and deliver trophies won by people who don't stay for the awards!

I currently have one for Jason Brown and Adrian C Watkins from the last Anglesey. I don't need any more!!!!! :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Phil

They are all mine. I only pick up and deliver trophies won by people who don't stay for the awards!

I currently have one for Jason Brown and Adrian C Watkins from the last Anglesey. I don't need any more!!!!! :rolleyes:

Tut - people who don't stay for their awards :down:

Who is this Adrian C Watkins of whom you speak? And why has he never been seen in the same room as Gotham City's millionaire playboy Bruce Wayne?

Who is this Adrian C Watkins of whom you speak? And why has he never been seen in the same room as Gotham City's millionaire playboy Bruce Wayne?

He is a dominatrix

• 2 weeks later...

oooh... you are awful, but I like you.

One that hold liquids are treasured and used / abused in our household. Others are stored on shelves in corners.

oooh... you are awful, but I like you.

One that hold liquids are treasured and used / abused in our household. Others are stored on shelves in corners.

Lots of big corners you must have then!

PS - wasn't that Dick Emery's catch phrase?