Racing a Westfield?

Terzo204

Glad you can't get away with ZZRs also, I've switched to them from Kuhmos, would have Kuhmos back in an instant

Great stuff Mike! Shows you gotta be in it to win it :)

Your driving is looking really good, smooth and consistent. Couple of observations...

Your oversteer at Craner on lap 1 was caused by a lift - maybe contributed to a little by the fact your tyres won't have been fully warmed through. Practice 'hot' laps straight out the pits on track days to get a feel for the car on cold tyres (as long as the oil is up to temp!), this can really help you maintain or gain places on the first lap.

You've clearly got the feel and skills to deal with that sort of 'moment', so with more track time you'll find yourself carrying more speed everywhere to the point where that sort of steering correction is perfectly normal and completely subconscious multiple times a lap.

The chicane at lap 1 - IMO you'd have been better to sacrifice a little on the preceding straight in order to end up with a net gain overall on exit. Cross gate shifts are always slower too, so following in behind the other cars would have allowed you to take a normal line and carry speed in 3rd. Appreciate there was someone having a nosey at you from behind but if you can block their line as long as poss, then brake diagonally away from the apex you can usually keep them behind and get back to the normal entry line...

Hope that makes sense! All this stuff just comes from experience and track time, so with you already up the front of the pack you'll be flying soon... :)

• Like 1

Yeah, I think I got a bit lucky with this race to be honest. Generally my pace on the first lap has been good in my other races (helped by the sprinting I guess) but I was rubbish in this race. I managed to pick off places later in the race and then when I got some clear track after the pit stop managed to get 8 laps in the 1.22 and one in the 1.121s, which was the consistancy I needed to keep the pack behined me.

Driving on cold tyres is definitely a skill and one I need to practice more. It was a bit hairy after my pit stop as well. I guess I lifted at creners to try and set the car up for old hairpin

I was definitely optimistic going into the chicane. At one point I thought I would have them both - not a chance in hindsight! I’ll have to put that down to inexperience….

Racing is great fun and I have enjoyed every moment of it, but I definatley fell the need for more race seat time. There really is so much to learn over and above the trackdays. I found in my first few races that I was not carrying enough speed in the race as I either:

1. followed the car in front/copied their mistakes or
  2. defended too much and too early and comprimisted my lap time.

This has improved over the season but its not come as easliy as I would have liked. More practice needed. I’m still very new to this and it certainly felt like that on a number of occasions. It’s so similar yet so far away from doing trackdays. I just can’t wait to get out there again.

I would really like to get a day with you next year Adam, prior to the season starting. I think it will help me a lot. I just didn’t have the budget this year with getting the car ready

• Like 1

It’s so similar yet so far away from doing trackdays.

I think you hit the nail on the head there!

Would love to sort out a day at some point, happy to help :t-up:

A tip for point 1. which you can do all the time... When you're driving on the road, deliberately NEVER look at the back of the car in front. This is the natural thing to do and you'll probably find you're really used to doing it without realising - I know I was. If you can stop yourself doing it, you'll stretch your vision which is useful for track driving as a whole, and it will make you look past the car in front on track too :)

Glad you can't get away with ZZRs also, I've switched to them from Kuhmos, would have Kuhmos back in an instant

I saw quite a lot of Khumos on the other cars.

Thanks Adam. Good advice.

I'll contact you nearer the time about track tuition..only a 6-month wait now for me....

More video.

I loose my front wing in the last bit of this video as it detaches itself at the top of Craner Curves.

Also, naughtly overtake in this vid (racing driver excuse mode on) but I had already committed to the overtake by the time I had sen the car in the grave and there were no yellow flags.:

More battling

Adam (or anyone else!) - more advice please. I like to learn - it helps me go faster next time.

Mike

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Would like to do Spa....just need to check down the back of the sofa.

Nice Zetec! A good engine that!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'm now registered to race in the CSCC Mag 7's and in the Welsh Sports and Saloon Car Championship during the 2017 season.

Anyone else planning on doing the same?

Adam R, Lee, Cast Iron, Lewis, Rich UK?

I would join if I could! Sounds excellent fun :yes::yes:

4 hours ago, Terzo204 said:

I'm now registered to race in the CSCC Mag 7's and in the Welsh Sports and Saloon Car Championship during the 2017 season.

Anyone else planning on doing the same?

Adam R, Lee, Cast Iron, Lewis, Rich UK?

Mike

Def. doing the Mag 7's (hopefully all season) money allowing. Looking at some WSSC as well but no sure funds will stretch but you never know.

Need to get in gear and sort the car out now. Full strip for winter and rebuild. Worrying thing is the winter is already flying by, need to get moving.

Was planning an engine change/upgrade, but out of budget for now as too many other things have raised their heads.

Looking forward to catching up again.

Lee