Racing a Westfield?

Terzo204

I would be interested to see who's racing next year and in what race series. I'm looking to do a race or two in the Castle Coombe Sports and GT and maybe the CSCC Mag 7's.  

I have a few questions for those in the know as well:

1: How have/where have you fitted the tow straps? (I don't believe towing from the cage is permitted)

2: Where have you mounted your fire extinguisher? I have just bought on of these: https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/lifeline-fire-extinguisher-2-25ltr-club-fire-marshall-kit-101-225-001

and it won't fit in front of the passenger seat. I was thinking parallel to the transmission tunnel (having offered it up it would appear to fit)

3: How are your rear arches fixed?

4: How did you 'render your steering lock inoperative'?

Any help much appreciated

Mike

Rear arches are normally fitted using plastic 6mm nut and bolt ( number plate bolts)

Just remove the inner parts of the steering column lock as it quite easy to do

Mark Leybourne might be a good contact for questions 1 and 2

Thanks Terry.

I heard that number plate bolts might be the way to go. 

I'm thiking of the Mag 7's but probably not next year. Going to do a few more track days next year first.

My arches are held on with about 10 M8 plastic nuts and bolts.

I was thinking of mounting the fire extinguisher above the fuel tank as I don't have a boot box.

I'm thiking of the Mag 7's but probably not next year. Going to do a few more track days next year first.

My arches are held on with about 10 M8 plastic nuts and bolts.

I was thinking of mounting the fire extinguisher above the fuel tank as I don't have a boot box.

I think I need to get some plastic nut and bolts.

I was advised against the boot for mounting the extinguisher but then I do have a boot lid. I would recommend a boot lid to help with air flow - it's very restrictive.

I do have a sheet of plastic on the top to seal it. 

Why is the boot mounting not a good idea? I would also look at the passenger foot well then, that would make the piping easier (shorter at least).

I fitted a proprietary soft "seatbelt webbing" type strap to the rear suspension pick up then taped it under the rear valance with a yellow arrow pointing at it on the back.

I have one for the front but haven't fitted it yet, at the moment it has yellow tape on the roll cage to suggest it as a towing point, I haven't failed scruitineering yet.

I mounted my extinguisher on the is one in the engine bay ,to help offset the bike engine being canted over. the regs for extinguishers say must be inside the vehicles main structure. as the passenger area and engine bay are the same fiberglass and box section with an aluminium floor, I haven't failed on this one either

Mine has a dashboard ignition switch, so never had a steering lock.

I do have a sheet of plastic on the top to seal it. 

Why is the boot mounting not a good idea? I would also look at the passenger foot well then, that would make the piping easier (shorter at least).

Just because I have an open floor to the boot so it would get wet/covered in crap and I would have to take the boot lid off every time it was scrutineered and/or to inspect it (it's a pain to do so). This may not be the case for your car Lewis.

Ah ok, that makes sense. My boot lid is not currently easy to remove and I also have an open floor.

I fitted a proprietary soft "seatbelt webbing" type strap to the rear suspension pick up then taped it under the rear valance with a yellow arrow pointing at it on the back.

I have one for the front but haven't fitted it yet, at the moment it has yellow tape on the roll cage to suggest it as a towing point, I haven't failed scruitineering yet.

I mounted my extinguisher on the is one in the engine bay ,to help offset the bike engine being canted over. the regs for extinguishers say must be inside the vehicles main structure. as the passenger area and engine bay are the same fiberglass and box section with an aluminium floor, I haven't failed on this one either

Mine has a dashboard ignition switch, so never had a steering lock.

I was looking at this for the tow strap (adjustable type)

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/car-preparation/schroth-tow-strap

I was looking to route the strap through the rear of the car, fixing it to the chassis but I have yet to really look into it. I was hoping to get away with just towing off the roll cage but I don't think this may get past a picky 'scrute'. I'm not really sure if this will work and if I can just bolt it to the chassis some how?

Please let me know if you have any suggestions on how to attach the tow strap - I had a look tonight and there is chassis rail at low level:

1: under the front of the nosecone where the bottom fixing is; and

2: under the diff at the lower rear most section of the chassis

I also found this:

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/towing-eyes-straps/pitking-products-on-car-tow-strap

and this:

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/towing-eyes-straps/pitking-products-tow-strap-carabiner

Is this possible on a Westie or is the bolt option better?

Thanks Sycho - that helps - i'll look tonight to se what may fit best.

problem I found at the front, is the nose cone, any sideways movement of the tow vehicle straps and you will end up with more damage than when you started! 

I know what you mean Cast Iron but I need to fit something. I think the fixed tow bar is the best option and as long a possible to prevent damage to the nose cone.

Where is your extinguisher by the way?