Recomended Knife sharpener kit

John K

Ello,

I think a while back there was a thread about knife sharpening.

Well I like a good sharp kitchen knife so I looked into it.

Lucky enough to work with a genuine Canuk Outdoors kind of guy, the sort of bloke who hunts moose with a teaspoon and eats them raw.

He uses Lansky Sharpening kits like this...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lansky-Sharpeners-Diamond-Deluxe-Sharpening/dp/B000B8L6LS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442754664&sr=8-1&keywords=lansky+diamond

This has the diamond stones so you don't use the oil. I've been using it for 6 months and it is really good.

Sure it takes a bit of effort compared to the fast pull through types but I can get a chefs knife sharp enough to shave with. And yes I have tried..!

And because you can select a edge angle you can have your choppers with a thicker more resilient blade and your slicers with a razor but more fragile finish.

Comes very strongly recommended...

I have one.

Pretty good if a little long winded. Could do with finer angle for Japanese chef's knives though.

I have one.

Pretty good if a little long winded. Could do with finer angle for Japanese chef's knives though.

I can't even imagine how sharp those things must be..!

Ooooh, those are the ones with the one piece blade/handle and dimply handles aren't they...

Show off :t-up:

Funny, could never really get on with the Globals, though I desperately wanted to do, after all the glowing recommendations; just the weight and feel never seemed right, in my hand.

Funny, could never really get on with the Globals, though I desperately wanted to do, after all the glowing recommendations; just the weight and feel never seemed right, in my hand.

i know im the same.

;

i started a thread a while back about this. still have blunt knives. :d  im not willing to go near a Japanese blade or a ceramic one with any kind of hand held device or steel as its a one way ride to an expensive fix and a very very annoyed partner 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I'm a bit late on this one sorry but here is a really good knife sharpener call edge pro not cheep but a really good bit of kit I used to make hunting knifes from scratch and used this to get the final edge on my knifes and will get an edge you can shave with http://www.edgeproinc.com they are Made in America but you can get them over here

Hi I'm a bit late on this one sorry but here is a really good knife sharpener call edge pro not cheep but a really good bit of kit I used to make hunting knifes from scratch and used this to get the final edge on my knifes and will get an edge you can shave with http://www.edgeproinc.com they are Made in America but you can get them over here

Interesting bit of kit and interesting videos too

Sounds weird, MDF wheel on a bench grinder with black polishing compound, BUT it does work.