Essex, Cambridge or Anyone Interested - Glider Club Open Day

Kevin (Mr T)

Just thought I would throw this out there as a potential idea for next year.

One of my work colleagues is a qualified gliding instructor who competes at National level.

He flies out of Wormingford Airfield, Fordham Road, Wormingford, Colchester, Essex, CO6 3AQ, as a member of the Essex & Suffolk Gliding Club.

He has organised a couple of days this year where he has taken people from work for a flight in the clubs two seat trainer.

Price for the flights is usually £45, but he has negotiated a good discount for these groups (£30 a time this year).

Would there be any interest in this as a day out next spring/summer, with a drive there, maybe a BBQ and apparently the possibility of some four wheel fun on the airfield at the end of the day (I would have to clarify exactly what that might means!).

I haven't taken a flight yet, but have only heard rave reviews.

Below is a photo George took during the home leg of a flight at a recent competition and it certainly looks impressive.

If this appeals, let me know and I can speak to him to get more specific information.

Kevin.

11034904_10155607365230257_8916233575275

I could be up for this, but it'll be a very short blat for me as I live almost next door to the airfield :d

I could be up for this, but it'll be a very short blat for me as I live almost next door to the airfield :d

Could always meet up at the Lodge :silver-westy:

I have been gliding a few times.

This will be money well spent and whoever goes will certainly not be disappointed.

• Like 1

did a 1 day course there about 2 weeks ago and was great but you have to have the right conditions on the day

I had a glider lesson a long time ago, great fun and a little disconcerting without an engine of some sort.     Yes I'd come and make a day of it.

Tvr club have done this a couple of times

They tell me it's great fun

George mentioned the TVR guys had been there, as have a bunch of Aston Martins apparently.

• 1 year later...

I am resurrecting this one, as the Essex & Suffolk Gliding Club have an open weekend 17th and 18th June.

George, my friendly glider pilot, has recommended Saturday 17th as the best day to attend and they would love to have some Westfields parked up to provide some extra interest on the day.

As per the OP, there will be discounted glider flights available for anyone interested.

If we could have a show of hands, I can give them indicative numbers and take it form there.

Same weekend as lemans again unfortunately else as I be there since I live next door to the airfield. 

I would like to but can't be sure the car will be back together in time