New MSA ROPS regulations

JamesT

• 2 weeks later...

This is all very confusing to say the least!

I have a RAC spec rollbar with petty strut bought from Westfield in 1996. It has rose joints top and bottom of the rear facing struts, 38mm tubes.

I run in 2 litre Modprod with slicks. When this first arose last year I asked a scrutineer at a meeting whether my bar would comply next year. He wasn't sure and went away, coming back later in the day and told me, and another competitor in the same situation, that we would be OK for 2016.

Reading through all this I get the impression that I will not be able to compete without changes. Can anyone definitely confirm this for me?

I also need a HANs device of course. Does anyone know which angle device works with a Westfield ? I would assume 20degrees ?

Thanks

Ritchie

This is all very confusing to say the least!

I have a RAC spec rollbar with petty strut bought from Westfield in 1996. It has rose joints top and bottom of the rear facing struts, 38mm tubes.

I run in 2 litre Modprod with slicks. When this first arose last year I asked a scrutineer at a meeting whether my bar would comply next year. He wasn't sure and went away, coming back later in the day and told me, and another competitor in the same situation, that we would be OK for 2016.

Reading through all this I get the impression that I will not be able to compete without changes. Can anyone definitely confirm this for me?

I also need a HANs device of course. Does anyone know which angle device works with a Westfield ? I would assume 20degrees ?

Thanks

Ritchie

Hi Richie

I'm afraid he was wrong. The top rose joint needs to be welded as per blue book drawing. However, I have heard that Westfield have written to the MSA to seek dispensation for their previously OK ROPS but that is not yet confirmed

Most people use 20 deg HANS with Westfield but mine is 30 deg as I am short and lay down more. You really need to try them in the car. Some harness mounts may need altering also to allow clearance around the back of the HANS

Correct. As I understand it  38mm is not allowed unless you have a Homologation certificate for the cage/rollover bar

Correct. As I understand it  38mm is not allowed unless you have a Homologation certificate for the cage/rollover bar

Correct which is why Westfield are in consultation with the MSA about it I believe

See this post http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/115180-new-msa-rops-regulations/?p=1238501

Correct which is why Westfield are in consultation with the MSA about it I believe

See this post http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/115180-new-msa-rops-regulations/?p=1238501

......are we seriously going to find after all this that we will be  able to use RAC bars with 38m tube and rose joints, with agreement between Westfield and the MSA ??

So all the people who have put their hands in their pockets and fitted cages or MSA roll bars from Westfield (or Playskool etc) need not have bothered after all ?   :bangshead:

......are we seriously going to find after all this that we will be  able to use RAC bars with 38m tube and rose joints, with agreement between Westfield and the MSA ??

So all the people who have put their hands in their pockets and fitted cages or MSA roll bars from Westfield (or Playskool etc) need not have bothered after all ?   :bangshead:

It looks possible that it may turn out like that

As one of the playskool buyers that has updated from an RAC roll over to a full cage, even though it is possibly not an upgrade that I had to undertake to compete (if the MSA provide agreement that they are compliant),

I still feel that a full cage was a no brainer safety investment ......

Also the buying of a hans even though they are not mandated for the class that I will be in...

And no I don't have buckets of money, but I do put a value on increasing my chance of walking away if it all goes wrong

• Like 1

Why didn't Westfield get the RAC hoop approved from the outset?

I think it's ridiculous that you already have 38mm tubing joining a thinwall 25mm chassis tubing and there are questions being asked about cage strength. ???

Surely we should be worrying about chassis strength? ;)  

• Like 4

Why didn't Westfield get the RAC hoop approved from the outset?

I think it's ridiculous that you already have 38mm tubing joining a thinwall 25mm chassis tubing and there are questions being asked about cage strength. ???

Surely we should be worrying about chassis strength? ;)  

1st one, ask Westfield, the Club pointed this out to them countless times.

Yep, we should be worried about chassis strength. :o  

• Like 1

You have to remember that when a cage is added to a chassis it does strengthen it and in an analysis of any structure you would need to look at the overall performance of the chassis an cage acting as one system. We cant do anything about the chassis so adding a cage of any sort is an improvement IMHO

• Like 1

So how and when will we find this out? 

The new season is around the corner

That's one for the MSA / Westfield Im afraid