Smoke blowing back thro carb

RoboS

Can anyone help? Ive refurbed my scuttle, replaced all the dials etc and since trying to restart the car i'm getting smoke blowing back through my Holley 4 barrel when trying to start.

I cannot think of anything i may have done. The cars not being started since last November!

It appears to be a problem with my ignition timing but none of this has been touched.

Thanks

Rob

Hi a bit more info would help

Engine ?

Ecu ?

Have you got compression ?

Have you got a spark ?

Have you got fuel ?

Looking like ignition slip or less likely a inlet valve sticking

Maybe some fresh fuel might help

You would be better checking ignition timing before adjusting anything

• Like 1

He has a V8,    Not run since November? that's criminal :d  Fresh petrol in the tank would help and a thrash down the local roads.

take out the plugs and replace or clean.

take dizy cap off and spray some wd 40 in it and over the plug leads

He has a V8,    Not run since November? that's criminal :d  Fresh petrol in the tank would help and a thrash down the local roads.

I'd agree, don't assume a problem until you rule out the obvious, you may well create more issues than you started with.

As above,plugs out and check them,if they are damp I reckon it's prob flooded.

Presume you've had a battery pack/jump leads on it to spin it over faster?

A tow down the road and bump start is the best way to get it going.

My V8 (On a discovery) was critical on the condition of plug leads - even though they looked fine, they broke down with any damp conditions.

(One back fire took out the air cleaner!!)

Only found out when ran the engine in the pitch black to see where the arcing was.

Good luck.

Dave.

If you do spray WD40 into the dizzy cap/dizzy area, make sure you let it breathe for a bit before trying to start it up - witnessed a spectacular dizzy explosion on a V12 Jaguar once caused by the residue igniting with the sparks. We could only find very small pieces of the cap....

The early electronic dizzy on those was prone to problems too, although usually started to show as a mis-fire when hot.

Hi

Its none of these, all have been checked. Ive not had much time to check it our recently with work. However ive noticed that when the lead to the dizzy is checked against the chassis  i only get a single spark as the ignition is switched off.

Rob

Did you rewire ignition switch or something relating to power to engine when you did dash?

Did you rewire ignition switch or something relating to power to engine when you did dash?

Yes, i did,  and i thought it might be the issue, but ive checked and i sure every thing is correct.

However now that youve mentioned it i think im going to re-check it again

• Like 1

Hi

Its none of these, all have been checked. Ive not had much time to check it our recently with work. However ive noticed that when the lead to the dizzy is checked against the chassis  i only get a single spark as the ignition is switched off.

Rob

That's normal.

You'd only get multiple sparks from the plug leads and only when the engine is running.

To get more than 1 spark from the coil HT lead, you'd have to ground the - side repeatedly, as it's current flow on the primary winding that generates the voltage in the secondary, the points in the dizzy do this job (grounding the coil - ), whilst the dizzy cap distributes the HT voltage.

It's all too easy to re-wire an igniton switch and end up with no ignition when cranking - that would give the symptom.