Stoneleigh 2015 - The feedback thread

Andy Banks

Hi All,

So that's Stoneleigh over for another year, shame about the weather but as ever I think we put on a great display. I'd appreciate your thoughts on what went well and what needs improvement, plus ideas for next year so please feel free to put down your thoughts here. We will consider everything and if we can, put them into action for 2016.

Thanks...

Like the new title andy well done to you Ian and Marcus

• Like 1

Just a thought more than anything but I wondered why the marquee is situated at the end next to the drift experience with the flagged walkway behind it?

I personally think it would be better if it was mid way with a flagged entrance from the drift area and a flagged entrance from the opposite end. This way for the people entering from the main show area (show halls) the entrance way would appear to lead you to the marquee which I think may encourage more people looking at the cars to enter the marquee. It would also work at the other end for people entering from the other kit car areas.

What went well:

- Finding the WSCC pitch and parking up. It's a great location and the area flags can be spotted from the entrance.

- Selling my items. Big crowd around the autojumble table and some stuff sold before it even hit the table.

- Free drinks/crisps/cookies for members. The bottles of water were very much appreciated.

- Name badges with forum name/real name. Made it easy to connect with other members.

What in my opinion didn't do so well:

- Not sure what the desk behind the entrance (on the right, next to the autojumble table) was for.

- Autojumble seemed very popular and could easily use more space.

- Donations. I was under the impression that donations could be left, and I had some items to give away for free with a little note saying that donations to the WSCC charity would be appreciated. But then watching the person trying to struggle where to leave his money was strange. In the end the money ended up at the member secretary, but only by sheer luck... The same went for my own contribution.

Other than that, had a great time both inside and out of the WSCC stand.

That table was the drop off point where you could leave steering wheels/bags/waterproofs etc for safe keeping while you were walking round the show. Obviously, we perhaps need to identify it more clearly next year?

Obviously, we perhaps need to identify it more clearly next year?

Were there not three A4 notices explaining how it worked?? 

Everything was great, apart from that dozy chairman.  I'd get rid of him if I were you.

Four other points...

• There were at least two non Westys on our patch.  They obviously can tell that the WSCC is a brilliant club but some better car-parking supervision seems to be required,
  • Some silly bu99er pinched our Yorkshire Area feather flag (or I've lost it  :down: )
  • More meeters and greeters required in the marquee.  We need to be even more outgoing and look out for people looking lost and/or wanting to join in.  The Caterham area was characterised by people facing inwards  :laugh:
  • Last year lots of paper Westfields were sold but they were located between the cafe and the bring and buy.  This year between the cafe and membership secretary.

Other points will emerge later.

Free drinks/crisps/cookies for members! I didn't know this and spent my money at other stalls purveying such goodies! :down:

personally, I thought that the marquee was in a prime spot .. people watch the drifting, become more interested and head towards the marquee, passing Westys for sale tempting them in further! :t-up:

Comments/observations, in no particular order -

• Also spotted non-Westys on the Avenue .. again! This happens every year and we appear to be powerless to do anything!!
  • Autojumble has gotten more floor space year on year from requests via this feedback. Unsure if it could be given any more space..
  • Whilst the name badges have been a great success (and should continue), could we look at a more robust (there's that word again) type? Even a cheap pin on type or similar. A few members lost theirs as soon as they stuck them on or couldn't re-stick them onto their shirts from their jackets when that hot thing appeared in the sky!
  • Is it possible to have some form of Q&A sheet at each car (where the owner wishes to participate), where onlookers can jot down a Q for the owner should they be off enjoying the show themselves. On their return, the owner can jot down their answer, pop it back on the car and go off again? Hope that makes sense! I'm not talking war and peace - just enough space for a short Q and a short A.
  • Is it possible to get rid of that dozy Chairman??!! :p

• Whilst the name badges have been a great success (and should continue), could we look at a more robust (there's that word again) type? Even a cheap pin on type or similar. A few members lost theirs as soon as they stuck them on or couldn't re-stick them onto their shirts from their jackets when that hot thing appeared in the sky!

Ah, now that's a good point and therein lies a tale...!  I have explored restarting membership cards with lanyards for the show, but the cost and hassle of doing so would be extortionate for something that would likely not ever be used by the vast majority of members, so that idea was shot down in flames with the crew screaming in agony all the way to ground.

I can check to see if we can get blank clip-on / pin-on badges that the stickers can be, er, stuck to as a possibility - does that sound like a good compromise?

• Is it possible to get rid of that dozy Chairman??!! :p

Yes, but you missed your chance to do so during the nominations and elections in March / April. so you'll have to wait another 12 months and put up with me. :d

Rab, thanks to you and the Scottish clan for making the epic trip down, it was great to see you all - well done! :t-up:

• Like 2

There were plus a couple of A3s stuck to the wall of the marquee. However, point taken, we'll aim make things a little clearer next year.

If Quinten didn't see them, then others may not have, either?

If Quinten didn't see them, then others may not have, either?

I admit I didn't see any either, but it does always seem a busy area what with cars in there as well as all the tables and helpers. Easy to miss in my opinion.

I think this sort of information would be best served by people greeting entrants to the marquee.

I did also find myself looking at everybody's name badge for an online forum username to put a face to the name but 'young pretender' was the only one I saw.

I think John K's suggestion of a white board to write site visitors names is a great one. A chance to find somebody you may have only ever spoken to on the forum.

• Like 1

I think the improved Autojumble procedures kept things running nice and smooth, and all members were happy enough to complete paperwork.

I wonder whose idea that was  :d

• Like 1

Can't ban non-Westies 'cos, being an inclusive club, we have club members that own other seven-esque cars.  There's at least 4 at my local meet (Cotswolds) who attend regularly and contribute to meetings etc. 

• Like 1