WIFI house alarms

Terry Everall

I want to install a new WiFi house alarm system with mainly PIR sensors and no door sensors

Any advice on best models and easiest to install etc?

The Yale ones aren't too bad. Fairly easy to set up and a decent set of batteries seem to last a while in them. I think it depends if you're after a simple system or something more complex with phone lines etc. I'd work out how many pir sensors you need as they seem quite expensive and I think most sets come with the door/window sensors as standard. Also once you've added on extra boxes and other sensors the price can soon add up from what seems like a nice cheap buy.

I've had a Yale system for about 8/9 years and it has been very reliable. No false alarms and easy to add on extra PIR,s and sensors. I now make a point of changing the batteries every year before our holidays so they don't fail - it's annoying when they do because the system bleeps every 30 seconds, usually just as you go to bed and don't have spares in the house!!

Yale don't seem to do a set with 4 PIRs so I will have to add to basic package

Is telecoms type worth the extra?

Sorry haven't tried the telecoms units but it's definitely worth checking the models. Some have the telecoms and I think some allow you to split the house into areas to allow you to move around at night. The sirens on the wireless units aren't incredibly loud so might be worth seeing if any package has 2 sirens. Also the standard key pad allows time for you to enter or exit the property, there are fobs available that immediately arm the alarm and will go off as soon as the sensor is tripped. Sorry it doesn't help answer your question.

I had the Response one as well in my last house, has the phone dialler option built in.   It is a pain changing batteries as some run down quicker than others.  The remote siren you fit on the outside wall is solar powered with rechargeable battery back up so you don't have to touch that one and no wires to run to it.

Should have said

Change all sensor batteries every year to save any trouble

But the tend to last about 2 years of normal use