Interesting option for those wanting a 6 speed gearbox

Kingster

Have you checked on tunnel width and height?   Would leave it for a winter project if it was me.

Anyone done this gearbox swap?

Or is it leave till winter?

Andy

He has a stand at Stoneleigh, and from what I could see, he was taking plenty of orders...

Yep picked mine up so just some careful measuring and fabricate a gearbox mount and I'm away

Will make a thred on the subject when I start doing it. Will be at my mates unit on a lift so will get plenty of photos so people can see

• Like 1

im still interested in the weight  :-)

Going to the garage for a couple of hours tomorrow if I remember I will weigh it

im still interested in the weight  :-)

I spoke to him and asked about the weight, he didn't know but the impression I got was there wouldn't be much in it. He did say to be sure to get RX8 box as others that looked very similar might not fit. He also said he does a cable version too.

Going to the garage for a couple of hours tomorrow if I remember I will weigh it

What type of trans. tunnel do you have?    

It's going in a pre-lit so doesn't really have a tunnel type lol. it will be tight but should go in as you can get the type 9 in just. only just leaving work now so the weighting will have to be tomorrow night will get some pics up and measurements all at the same time.

It's going in a pre-lit so doesn't really have a tunnel type lol. it will be tight but should go in as you can get the type 9 in just. only just leaving work now so the weighting will have to be tomorrow night will get some pics up and measurements all at the same time.

I don't know how the RX8 box compares, but when I fitted an MX5 box into my Narrow SE i could get the tail shaft into the tunnel ok but I had to cut and widen the entrance to the tunnel to accommodate the main body of the gearbox behind the bellhousing as it was significantly wider than that of the type-9.

I thought beyond the bellhousing the RX8 box was the same as the MX5 box?

I thought beyond the bellhousing the RX8 box was the same as the MX5 box?

certainly there are elements of the RX7 gearbox which are interchangeable with the MX5 but I'm not sure how the RX8 compares

Interestingly this site suggests it's also used in the IS200 and the latest toybaru GT86/BRZ.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Aisin_transmissions#Longitudinal_rear-wheel_drive

I'm not sure that necessarily means the casings are the same though.

The man that sells the plates told me that the RX-8 was the only one that matched the type 9 in terms of length and overall size, as well as (importantly) input and output shaft dimensions.

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.