Interesting option for those wanting a 6 speed gearbox

Kingster

Definitely not a straight cut box, as had the fun of swopping that box in my mates RX and seems a chunky box compared to the Type 9. As to if they survive torque as well, as my mates stage 2 w**kel is not grunty but does go reasonably well. Standard 231 bhp cars were lucky to make 200 bhp, but a bit of porting and tweaking can make it happen. he is on his 3rd box now after breaking them. So , time will tell on using them in Westies. oh and I am bored of taking the box out, but at least the bolts arent seized from regular removal. 

16 hours ago, Thrustyjust said:

but at least the bolts arent seized from regular removal. 

Always a silver lining ;-)

No way that would fit in an old tunnel! Do you have room for the starter motor?

15 hours ago, Kit Car Electronics said:

Do you have room for the starter motor?

No but on ford engines it stays on the engine side. The adaptor plate mounts to the starter at the 2 o'clock position of the bell housing (second photo above).

Not much in it. Does someone make an adaptor plate to join them ? Shudders at the memory of the 2 bolts on the slave cylinder, fitting while engine and box in the car of the Rex :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Thrustyjust said:

Does someone make an adaptor plate to join them ? 

The two gearboxes in the picture?!!? 

Seriously: yes lots of adaptor plates available for various engines. I have the one for a 1.6 ecoboost do you want to put it together for me while I go in holiday?

3 hours ago, Thrustyjust said:

Not much in it. Does someone make an adaptor plate to join them ? Shudders at the memory of the 2 bolts on the slave cylinder, fitting while engine and box in the car of the Rex :rolleyes:

This bloke makes them..... think I mentioned it earlier....

https://p9cyoplates.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2017 at 11:29, Tim (TimDave25) - Joint Thames Valley AO said:

The two gearboxes in the picture?!!? 

Seriously: yes lots of adaptor plates available for various engines. I have the one for a 1.6 ecoboost do you want to put it together for me while I go in holiday?

Damn, probably missed my chance to help as only just noticed this post and you are probably away slacking on a beach :d

• 2 months later...

News just in from the place trying to fit the RX8 to my 1996 Wide chassis... Nope! It doesn't fit. The turbo and alternator (a 1.6 ford ecoboost) foul the chasses and the gear leaver sit too far forward by about 2-3 inches so you would hit the dash. I should get some pictures later.

An expensive day as I will need to get a type 9, bellhousing and clutch :-(

Just confirming that was with an MT75 chassis?

1 hour ago, Garyt said:

Hi just thinking out loud but would you know if the 6spd rx8 box is much larger than a std mx5 box ? 

Yes they are a fair bit larger but my chassis had to be modified to clear the mx5 5speed clutch release arm. If you use a concentric slave cylinder it may not be a problem. 

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.