Interesting option for those wanting a 6 speed gearbox

Kingster

It's going in a pre-lit so doesn't really have a tunnel type lol. it will be tight but should go in as you can get the type 9 in just. only just leaving work now so the weighting will have to be tomorrow night will get some pics up and measurements all at the same time.

Not sure - but wouldn't the pre-lit with a type 9 need a gear lever extension? If so, then the RX8 box will also need some sort of extension fabricating.

Interestingly this site suggests it's also used in the IS200 and the latest toybaru GT86/BRZ.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Aisin_transmissions#Longitudinal_rear-wheel_drive

I'm not sure that necessarily means the casings are the same though.

As you said, the internals are the same but he casings differ.

Mike

Not sure - but wouldn't the pre-lit with a type 9 need a gear lever extension? If so, then the RX8 box will also need some sort of extension fabricating.

yes I cant find it now but they do an extension somewhere like the mt75 one probably just fab something up to start with currently got a bent one to clear dash so could do something similar to start with. may get away without doing anything as it is a lot shorter stick with only minimal throw.

• 7 months later...

I did start a thread on this but without heavy chassis modifications it won't go in a narrow. I don't know exactly what measurements are but I think it will probably go in a wide with mt75 tunnel. So I have a gearbox adapter plate andcarbon prop if someone wants to take up the challenge.

• 1 year later...

Hi all, just started thinking about engine swap in my westy. Currently got a 919 fire blade engine but that's coming out and going for a zetec. I was wanting to use the RX8 gear box until coming across this discussion. So the question is, will the RX8 gear box fit a narrow body westy ??

36 minutes ago, Gareth Morris said:

Hi all, just started thinking about engine swap in my westy. Currently got a 919 fire blade engine but that's coming out and going for a zetec. I was wanting to use the RX8 gear box until coming across this discussion. So the question is, will the RX8 gear box fit a narrow body westy ??

Very unlikely.  I fitted an MX5 box in a narrow but I had to widen the tunnel by 5" to get it in and also increase the tunnel height. The MX5 and Rx8 boxes share a common gearset so I would expect their external dimensions to be similar.

On 7/5/2017 at 20:44, Gareth Morris said:

That's been answered in the post directly above your's! !!:suspect:

Just as an aside, a number of people announced they were starting RX8 gearbox conversions over the last couple of years, but to date, I don't remember seeing anyone finish off one of those threads... Have I just missed them? Or has anyone successfully completed the conversion that could write it up? (I constantly get asked about it so would be great to point them in a few Boardroom directions!)

• 2 weeks later...

My RX8 box and conversation plate has arrived so would be good to know if anyone has any advice?

Not personally, but awaiting your reports with interest!

Dying to see how someone gets on with this, as so many people keep asking about them and I've no idea what to say!

• 3 weeks later...

I was today talking to a chap called Phil from P9cyo plates (https://p9cyoplates.co.uk) that fabricates / sells conversion plates locally. He tells me the RX8 gearbox is exactly the same length as a T9 box, has a straight-cut gears in the 6-speed box, quick-shift and is stronger than the T9. 

He went on to say the conversion plate would add 10mm to the overall box length and it would require a modified, bespoke bracket underneath and a prop mod (different rear spline size) to match RX8.  He said you can pick gearboxes up for £150 for the 6-speed or £50 if you opt for the 5-speed.

Other than that he said the same clutch can stay in place although the gearbox does have provision for a hydraulic clutch if you prefer to move away from the cable.

Looked very much like if you can get a T9 gearbox in then the RX8 would fit.

11 hours ago, Wilfman said:

Looked very much like if you can get a T9 gearbox in then the RX8 would fit.

I'm not sure that is correct. Based on length, yes but on width it depends on your chassis. There is a narrow tunneled westfield which was designed for the type 9 then the wide tunneled westfield for the MT75 . The RX8 box is as wide as the MT75 and about 5cm shorter.

2 hours ago, Tim (TimDave25) - Joint Thames Valley AO said:

I'm not sure that is correct. Based on length, yes but on width it depends on your chassis. There is a narrow tunneled westfield which was designed for the type 9 then the wide tunneled westfield for the MT75 . The RX8 box is as wide as the MT75 and about 5cm shorter.

From what I have seen the RX8 box is about 1cm wider than a T9 each side and about 1.5cm shorter but needs the conversion plate thickness adding to it. 

What I am inferring is that if a T9 fits with ease then in theory the RX8 should go in

14 hours ago, Wilfman said:

straight-cut gears

Reading his site, I think he meant close cut gears, not straight cut. Presumably a close ratio box? I'd be very surprised if standard production RX8's had straight cut boxes.

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.