Interesting option for those wanting a 6 speed gearbox

Kingster

As soon as I saw the thread title I knew it was going to be about those RX8 plates. There's a few threads on t'nternet of people using them and they certainly look a good proposition if mine (god forbid!) fails...

not really up on what ratio's are best but looking at the Mazda ratio's does this mean it got a long or short first/second

1 2 3 4 5 6

3.76 2.269 1.645 1.187 1.00 .843

I think if your answers are positive I might put the type 9 I have in the garage up for sale and try this would make motorway

cant find any information on weight but I guess much lighter as well being ally

That's a short first, my long first is 2.4 but they can go down to 2.0. Not sure those ratios are that good for a light kit car, but would be interesting to compare to a Caterham 6 speed ratios.

Looks quite long but that would remove the need for the Westfield extension.  Hmm...

Has anyone put one in a Westy???

That's a short first, my long first is 2.4 but they can go down to 2.0. Not sure those ratios are that good for a light kit car, but would be interesting to compare to a Caterham 6 speed ratios.

...you could start in second perhaps.

Type 9 gearbox ratios for comparison

1st    2nd  3rd   4th 5th

Standard 3.65 1.97 1.37   1  0.82

BGH e2 2.98 1.97 1.37   1  0.82

BGH e3 2.92 1.86 1.295 1  0.82

BGH e6 3.36 1.81 1.26   1  0 82

Agree with Martin, just forget about 1st & start off in 2nd, still have 5 gears to play with :yes:

If you look at the photo of the 2 boxes side by side, they do look about the same overall length between the gearstick and the bellhousing flange , bit wider and higher maybe.

Caterham ratio's

1st 2.69:1

2nd 2.01:1

3rd 1.59:1

4th 1.32:1

5th 1.13:1

6th 1.00:1

• Like 1

any ideas of the weight of that box ?

I looked at the lexus box is200 which is same intetnals as the mazda, the good thing with this box is you can remove gearlever and turn reposition the gearlever to the rear position which makes the box almost the same length as type 9 with extension.

the problem is the box is quite wide in the main gear area so tight on tunnel, the rx8 has if I remember correctly starter motor will go in the passenger footwell so tunnel needs modifying

• 3 weeks later...

OK so I have bought a rx8 gearbox going to talk to the adapter plate man as he will be at Stoneleigh. Going to need 1600 pinto friction plate and probably have to sort prop shafts

Oh and some way of connection to a speedo.

Question is do I for fit a couple of weeks in the car so that's it's in to go to spa gp or wait till winter

Going to start a build thred on this one

• Like 3

Looking forward to seeing that! Personally I'd wait for winter if your current box will survive the summer but you probably work faster than me!

Having experienced the 'it'll only be a quick job, what could possibly go wrong?' upgraditis before, I'd suggest leaving it until winter! :d

You may find other things you want to tackle while the engine and box are out and at least over winter you can take your time without pining over the glorious summer evenings you're missing.

• Like 1

I will probably leave it till winter unless anything goes wrong before I have a dry sump kit I want to fit as well with everything out the engine bay so I can take my time to mock it all up.

will make sure I have everything I need first the chap who makes the plates is a really nice man and there is a load of information on turbosport forum about car that are being done

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.