Any runners out there? Advice

Deanspoors

Okay, so I've taken up running, one, because I'm stuck on an oil rig and there's not much else to do after shift. And two, because my girlfriend has, and there's some sort of manly urge to make sure she doesn't get fitter then me.. trouble is time is on her side, she's 22 and can run 10km in 50 minutes. I'm almost 28, and struggling to run 5km in 24 minutes (although, I have only ran 4 times so far). I'm a little concerned at my heart rate whilst I'm running which is averaging 170 bpm, and peaking at 182 bpm during my final sprint. Looking on a few websites (and the little chart on the side of the running machine :-) ) my heart rate is too high for a cardio workout. So where should I go from here? Do I need to run slower to become fitter?

Being unfit is depressing!

Cheers, 

Dean

It's a long time since I used to run but you need to settle into a pace that keeps you breathing easily and your heart rate up but not that far up.  I don't think a sprint at the end is a good idea - you need to run more slowly to cool yourself off when you approach the finishing line.  I think you are being over competitive which is a bad idea.  Try reducing the distance and then increase the distance once your fitness improves - not your pace.  Run no more than every other day.  Good luck!

(I am not a doctor!!)

A good guide is...

Find HR max = 220 minus your age is a good guideline (192).

'Beginners' = 65-75% HR max = 125 to 145bpm <-- this should be your aim now

Healty / active adults = 75-85% HR max = 145-165bpm <-- where you will be soon

High level / super fit = 85-90% HR max (gotta be taking it very seriously to get here!)

So yes, take it a little more steady for now and maintain your HR around 140bpm until you can do that run 'easily', then look at increasing HR gradually until you're up around 160bpm, then look at running further / for longer.

(Did sports science at uni)

she's 22 and can run 10km in 50 minutes. I'm almost 28

Ha ha :rolleyes:.  I ran my fastest 5km this year and I'm 37 and my wife ran her fastest marathon and she's older than me.

A 24 min 5k is a very good base to work from and definitely shows you have a reasonable level of fitness. 

5k is a tricky distance to train for as you clearly need good stamina but also need to do plenty of speed work.  A good variety of training programmes on here:

http://www.runnersworld.com/training/5k-training-plans but I think you'll be able to improve further by combing a weekly routine with a long run - 5-8 miles easy pace (i.e. able to hold a conversation), fartlek or hill-work plus an easy recovery run of 2-3 miles.

If you haven't already I'd definitely recommend giving cross country a go too.  I tried it and am completely hooked :yes:

All these times for 5k, they are in the Westie right..?

Being as you are on an oil rig, don't they have a doctor on there to monitor your fitness programme?

My youngest daughter aged 40 ran a 3hours 40min marathon this year and only started running in January!

There's always a medic about on an offshore platform but the advice above about heart rate is valid. If you are fortunate and your platform has a decent running machine which can be programmed for inclination it helps. I could never run comfortably on the flat but given an incline I was ok, knees used to give up. Just take it steadily and you will improve your 5k time and also your total distance if that is your goal, speed versus distance. I also used to find that with all the stairs offshore I could easily go up 7-10 flights without getting out of breath, that was 15 years ago mind and oh how things change. I would regularly on nightshift go for a walk and using the various levels and stairs could notch up a fair old routine, boring though.

Bob :d

If you do more miles at much lower intensity AND mix it up with the proper quick stuff you'll make lots of progress. I'm just getting back 'on it' for a half Ironman triathlon next summer so will be doing lots of low intensity cycling and running. I'm fully expecting to challenge my 5k PB once fully fit even though I won't be training for the distance.

If you do more miles at much lower intensity AND mix it up with the proper quick stuff you'll make lots of progress. I'm just getting back 'on it' for a half Ironman triathlon next summer so will be doing lots of low intensity cycling and running. I'm fully expecting to challenge my 5k PB once fully fit even though I won't be training for the distance.

Sorry. Was trying to say I agree with the above post but my inability with the iPhone has shown me up.

Would also suggest doing other fitness work besides running to reduce risk of injury by doing too much too soon.

Good luck

Agreed. Gym work definitely makes a difference. I do some weights two-leg and body weight single leg squats, work on the hamstrings and hip strength using a gym ball, eccentric calf raises on a step and some bits and pieces with a resistance band. Plus core work, but not as much as I should.