Lithium ion batteries

dombanks

So had a very interesting chat with a guy at a show today about lithium ion batteries for cars... Anyone using one?

It started due to a work thing but I noticed they had the odyssey battery's so we got chatting about those. He showed me a new tech battery that was lithium ion and omg it was nuts. His claim was it was the same if not better than my odyssey. It was tiny in size and weighed next to nothing. I recon you could mount it next to your ecu on the tray over the passenger footwell it's so small and light. Here is a pic sorry its s bit blurred

FC30D057-620A-48C6-A4F0-9B525FB378C0-160

They have been around for a while.  Luke on here was selling them at a good price.

They will start a car and are perfect for race cars.  Not sure I would use on the road as you wouldn't leave side lights on for very long without flattening.

My brother got one from Luke for his supercharged vx220 been on 6 months no problems whatsoever the weight is unreal and certainly makes an odyssey feel like its very heavy!

Yeah he said about them. It was the weight and size that got me. Assuming you don't leave your lights on these guys were pretty sure starting would be no issue. They did stress its a new tech for them so they are not 100% on the longevity. Testing has shown them to be more than a match but its one thing testing something on a bench or a sprint car (they said) than a road car all the time.

If it wernt for the cost I'd be well up for it. The thing was tiny

Lithium batteries are fine - any old issues have been ion'd out and now they are very good indeed. 

• Like 2

Instead of a Tiger in your tank, you've got a LIon under the bonnet...

I am testing one now starting my current hungry v8. If you can wait a season, i will report back. Its not a cheap solution though !

I am using ultrabatt modular ones. Cheers jon

My Nissan Leaf has a large Lion battery in the floor (24KWH) but still has a normal lead acid under the bonnet to run alarm / side lights etc.

Cost no doubt a factor but also the ability for Lead acid to better handle gradual and deep drain.

I think at present the mini lion batteries are fine for a race car that will start once or twice and probably have an auxillary battery pack but they are not so great for a car that may need side lights left on for 20 minutes etc from time to time.

For a road car I would stick to the Odyssey rather than save a couple of kilos

It seemed a good way to save some weight at the time. I have gone from 12kg to 5kg, but at a greater cost than I planned. Still I have made the commit now.....

Instead of a Tiger in your tank, you've got a LIon under the bonnet...

Good job for you bad puns aren't illegal. :d

Good job for you bad puns aren't illegal. :d

Hang on Mr Chairman... It was Jame's previous post that started it..!

Or does he get let off because his was clever as well as annoying LOL..?

Hang on Mr Chairman... It was Jame's previous post that started it..!

Or does he get let off because his was clever as well as annoying LOL..?

Hadn't seen that one - but nice job throwing James under the bus as well.  Your names are now both on the secret state list of subversives, comrade. :ph34r: