Ecclestone

davidgh

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-28656050

Apparently, that nice Mr Ecclestone, who is on trial for criminal bribery in a German court, has offered the court a sum of €100m to terminate the case.

Apparently, the court is minded to accept.

Apparently, this payment is not a bribe!

Apparently, I am confused.

• Like 1

From the BBC site...

"German prosecutors say they would accept an offer of $100m (£60m) from Formula 1 chief Bernie Ecclestone to end his trial on bribery charges"

So you seem to be able to end a trial for bribery by offering to pay a #####

Hey... when did we get a libel filter as well as a swear filter..?

But isn't a 100 million YoYos a lot more than the original amount in question at 33 million YoYos?

I am as confused as Se7en is, but I have to accept things happen differently in the worlds of the hyper-rich and hyper-powerful.

Something about German law which means it's 'legit'. Money goes to the treasury or something. Better for Germany to have a wodge of of cash than an oap in prison, but can't see the justice in it myself. The man can obviously afford it, so where's the punishment?

Assuming of course he's guilty, which it all reads like!!

F1 is just an expensive circus where logic does not always prevail :down:

Berny.

Nasty little man

With small man's syndrome

IMHO

Same case but defendant with no money.  What happens then??  One set of 'rules' for the rich, another for the poor.

F1 has many problems - a succession strategy is at the top of the list IMO.

Obviously we were wrong to reign contempt on unnecessary European law which it appears is the best money can buy.   Bet there are a few celebs sitting in their UK cells wishing they were in Germany.

http://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/ecclestone-gericht-stellt-verfahren-gegen-100-millionen-dollar-ein-a-984510.html

Oh, it's only $100m (not €100m) --  my mistake.

Oh, and it's OK because $1m of the $100m is going to a children's hospice charity!

The world has gone completely mad. 

At least the German press is as baffled as I.

So this has reduced the money that his daughters will inherit a little? Sounds like a good thing to me!

In all seriousness though what a crazy law. I do understand the idea of the country / state being better off having some positive cash flow from this but that's missing the point somewhat. You now just need to factor in £60m to your bribery costs.