home alarm system

Nick A

Hi i am after a security alarm for my home and wondered peoples view on wireless or wired, experiance with makes and if anyone on here fits them in midlams area willing to give a quote

Wireless can be an easy DIY job, wired is more secure, more tamper proof, BUT you could limit any future DIY plans for sake of paying someone to move sensors. Half decent diy wireless systems start at around £150.

Best defence (imho) is don't make your house a target.

Hi Nick,

My advise would be wired all the way. Yes it involves more work, but the wireless systems are just hassle.. Batteries need regular checking and replacing, things like temporary traffic lights, or taxis on similar frequencies can set them off ect.

The cost of the systems to buy can be very similar, but with wired the extra work to install the cables and 240v supply will be required (lifting floor boards, chasing walls ect)

Regards, Dan.

Yes, I'd go wired to - in fact I did !

Buy a decent unit and sensors, and take a bit of time to wire it up carefully to ensure you don't get those random alarms ! Its not a hard DIY system to fit and its amazing where you can find to run cables without creating havoc. Start simple  and add an other sensor each time you decorate.

I used Honeywell Acent , not expensive but well made with good instructions. I also bought a "dailer" so when the alarm goes off it phones me.

I've fitted a few wireless ones

So simple

We have had a Response alarm wireless fitted and working fine for 10 years now

One false alarm? And 3 battery warnings when I didn't change then after 2 years :(

Telephone backup is free for help with instillation too

I had trouble fitting one in a new build once, couldn't get it to connect to phone line???

When I tested the wall phone socket you've guessed it the builders hadn't wired that one up !!!!!

I would go wireless every time as house layouts change and it's so easy to change the system to suit

If I'm fitting in another house

I survey the house and plan the system

Order the parts then program it at home on the kitchen table

So when I turn up it's installed and working in about 2 hours plus an hour to explain its functions

I even have a movement sensor in my van that if it's moved sets off the whole house alarm which phones my mobile ;)

Another vote for wireless.  The Yale system is very easy to fit and comes with a DVD that explains it all step-by-step.  Not had any issues with it, or with the previous wireless system we had.

As others have said its incredibly flexible - I recently decided to buy another sensor to stick in the garage to keep an eye on the Westfield ;)

Cheers, John

I have fitted a number of wireless Response alarms and never had a problem with any of them.

Batteries in the sensors last generally 2-3 years and never had one set off by accident. Certainly no traffic lights!

Yes, I'd go wired to - in fact I did !

Buy a decent unit and sensors, and take a bit of time to wire it up carefully to ensure you don't get those random alarms ! Its not a hard DIY system to fit and its amazing where you can find to run cables without creating havoc. Start simple  and add an other sensor each time you decorate.

I used Honeywell Acent , not expensive but well made with good instructions. I also bought a "dailer" so when the alarm goes off it phones me.

Honeywell is great kit - the Galaxy range often comes up on eBay and is easy to DIY fit (if you have the installer manual), indeed it's the same stuff as ADT fit and can accommodate some very complex installs (including mix of wired and wireless) if you need it to.

Rig it to a MasterBlaster and you'll know (along with the rest of your town) if you get broken in to!

i have been looking around and was looking at visonics or pyronix wireless systems

where should i install sensors if i decide to go diy as one installer said they should face the window another said they should face across the window ?

I spent twenty five years in the security equipment manufacturing industry and never met an installer who complained that wires caused false alarms... Why eliminate the most reliable part of an alarm system for the sake of a bit of effort running cables. ???

get a rifle - .243 is about right…. with night scope 

i have been looking around and was looking at visonics or pyronix wireless systems

where should i install sensors if i decide to go diy as one installer said they should face the window another said they should face across the window ?

In the response alarm manual it says NOT to point at windows

Rig it to a MasterBlaster and you'll know (along with the rest of your town) if you get broken in to!

yep got one of thoses as well :)

yep got one of thoses as well :)

Good grief do they still make those things?