Trackday novice

clansman

As title I got a trackday voucher from my son for Xmas and wondering since I have never done such an event what "stuff" do I need ? Obviously a suitable lid (already looking) but what else would be a necessity? Car has a standard Westfield roll bar  is that enough?  not intending testing it out either!!........... .  

Any info would be very helpful.....................nearest track for me is Knockhill 

Common sense stuff like ensuring the car has a thorough check over for loose bolts and clips, top up fluids, check tyre pressures and condition.  Leave everything loose out of the car.  Covered arms and legs are mandatory on the Motosrports Events track days we do down here, whatever the weather, and there is usually a noise level to comply with before you are allowed on the circuit.  

I run with the standard Westfield roll bar which is acceptable for track days, but for competition I understand you would need RAC spec roll bar.  As you say, I wouldn't want to test this in anger but you should be OK with what you have.

Have fun!

Can't really add much to what Mooch says. It's all common sense stuff really as far as you and the car are concerned. It would be good to take a few tools, especially tyre wrench and a torque wrench if you have one, spare fuel is a must and something to inflate/deflate tyres - you'll need extra go juice and you'll probably want to play with tyre pressures too. Also, if you've not tracked the car before it would wise to double check the wheel nuts are correctly torqued a couple times throughout the day. if you want to get really anal about it, you can adjust suspension settings, ride height, etc. Making one change at a time to see what the difference is is all part of the fun.

Are you trailering the car there or driving it? If trailering, you can bung a load more stuff in the tow car as above plus coffee/tea and a camping chair to chill out in for lunch.

I would really advise you to fit a braced roll bar of some sort. I base this on having seen a Westfield roll over at a Hillclimb, when I was marshalling, it was right in front of me and I was one of the first people there. The speed was pretty slow 40 to 50 ish and thankfully he had a braced bar, but there really was very little room to get out. Young lad and he was out like a rabbit out of a hole. But it did demonstrate an important lesson i felt.

Any info would be very helpful.....................nearest track for me is Knockhill

Is your voucher redeemable at Knockhill? The only trackday vouchers I've seen have been for specific organisers, i.e a Bookatrack voucher would have to be used on a BAT organised day etc etc (There aren't many independant trackday organisers doing days at Knockhill as far as I know)

A thing I was told was to sit out the first 20 mins if it's an open pit

It lets any idiots crash or the organizers to have words with them

Then enjoy the day :)

It won't be your last I bet

• Like 1

Is your voucher redeemable at Knockhill? The only trackday vouchers I've seen have been for specific organisers, i.e a Bookatrack voucher would have to be used on a BAT organised day etc etc (There aren't many independant trackday organisers doing days at Knockhill as far as I know)

I'm sure this is the what the voucher is for Andrew.................sadly these days we don't have a great deal of options like you guys down south. 

http://trackdays.knockhill.com/car-trackdays.php

A thing I was told was to sit out the first 20 mins if it's an open pit

It lets any idiots crash or the organizers to have words with them

Then enjoy the day :)

It won't be your last I bet

Yep agree. Also alows the track to clean up a bit and for someone elses tyre rubber to get put down.

If you are going when it is cold, windy or rainy then wear some thermal long johns and wind/rain proof top layers, you don't want to drive round a track with the roof or doors on.  On my 1st. cold trackday in an open car I never realised how the cold can penetrate thick outer garments that are not windproof, soon learned that lesson.

I'm sure this is the what the voucher is for Andrew.................sadly these days we don't have a great deal of options like you guys down south. 

http://trackdays.knockhill.com/car-trackdays.php

If it's for Knockhill only, hang fire with the booking untill they announce some summer dates, and you may get some company from south of the border. :) I'm hoping to get up there at some point this year.

If it's for Knockhill only, hang fire with the booking untill they announce some summer dates, and you may get some company from south of the border. :) I'm hoping to get up there at some point this year.

As it will be my first trackday you can be sure I will be waiting till the weather is better :d not wasting the first time on a rainy day .......then again got no control over that sadly. 

Thanks for all the advice so far guys  :yes:  :yes:

Knockhill also do some good 1:1 driver instruction sessions - have a look on their website. 

If you haven't been on track before and/or need to spend a bit of time getting used to your Westie, these sessions are very worthwhile in my opinion. The instructor evaluates your car and you, then you do 2 lots of 20 laps or so with continual feedback. Takes about half a day.

I did one when I bought my first Westie and enjoyed it (apart from the torrential rain on the day!).

Matt

Maybe a long wait for it to stop rainy at Knockhill :d :d but worth the wait I would imagine, it's a great little circuit.

Can't speak from experience though, I've never been when it's dry :p :p

That is a very good idea Matt, might just look into that as an option.

Maybe a long wait for it to stop rainy at Knockhill :d :d but worth the wait I would imagine, it's a great little circuit.

Can't speak from experience though, I've never been when it's dry :p :p

The day we had up there last year was a scorcher. :cool:

DSCF2714_zps8a070bb4.jpg