Tokyo - anyone been?

TAFKARM

I'm off to Tokyo for a few days next week. Anyone been and got any recommendations?

I'm more into the technology/dodgy vending machines/lost in translation side of things rather than the temples etc due to the limited time Ive got.

So far on the must do list are sumo, robot restaurant, cat cafe and the fish market that I can't remember the name of for a sushi breakfast. I wouldn't mind seeing a bit of the JDM car scene (yo!) if I can get it past the girl I'm with...

Staying at The Royal Park, shiodome....

calling marcusb to the forum!

Jon Clancy!  Where are you when we need you?….probably swanning it in some dive in Tokyo…...

It's an interesting place - in fact the only place where I have felt like a complete alien!

Akihabara is the place if you like your tech, and the SkyTree is well worth a visit.

A trip to Odaiba (the old dock area that now has some very funky buildings and leisure attractions) on the monorail is easy from your location and you get some great views of the rainbow bridge. Try to go over in the afternoon so you return when it's dark.

Worked in Tokyo a lot in the late 90s. - the local guys I was working with took me to Shinatatsu restaurant - bit of a gamble (if you don’t speak Japanese). Located in a shopping arcade beside Shinagawa Station. Only time I have ever eaten live sea slug and pigeon heart - both were truly disgusting! Got hammered on warm (neat) gin and eat an awful lot of bread!

Fabulous place - get away from the touristy bits and you really will feel like you have landed on a different planet. Enjoy the trip - really jealous!

calling marcusb to the forum!

Iv'e told nakkib who should be able to provide some info shortly  :)

One other thing about Tokyo. When I first went I travelled around the city exclusively by tube - it's fast and efficient and generally has a sign in the carriage telling you the name of the next stop in English!

However, Tokyo is far more compact than you might think, and walking is a great way to get around. Walking from your hotel to Shinjuku or Shibuya (think Lost in Translation neon signs/bladerunner) would take about 90 minutes - you can always get the tube back.

There is a sort of "circle line" train that is largely above ground - the Yamanote Line - that goes through many of the interesting destinations. It's worth doing the complete circuit on that just to get  feel of the place.

There is a stop on the line for Yoyogi park. Try to pay a visit to the park on Sunday morning, when the local yoof congregate. They generally behave like young people anywhere - dancing, playing music, chucking litter about etc. But then at about 12:30 they all get their plastic bin bags out and pick up all the litter they're dropped!

There's a big Sumo tournament every January and it's well worth trying to get tickets - quite a spectacle!

I know you said you're not so keen on temples etc but there's a very famous one at Asakusa which is very close to Akiharara (Electric City - home of gadgets). I'd recommend a trip there. 

Tipping is generally not expected - I've had restaurant staff chasing me down the street to return a modest tip I'd left before now.

And if you do go anywhere by taxi, admire the driver's white gloves and the lace doilies on the headrests - and don't try to open or close the doors yourself  :)

Thanks all, some really good stuff. Yoyogi park on a Sunday sounds great, unfortunately fly back Saturday :(

Is the Sky Tower worth doing? I want to go on the bullet train too for the experience - it possible to use that for short ish journeys?

The SkyTree is pretty amazing from the outside and the view from the platform is pretty stunning - I think it's worth a trip.

Bullet Train is a great mode of transport but to be honest it's so smooth you may as well be sitting still watching a film of scenery being projected outside your window. There are different grades of Shinkansen depending on how fast they go. The Nozomi line is the fastest.

If you want a close look at one go to Tokyo Central Station and ask at the information office - they'll let you go up to the platforms and get a good look. I think you can go to Yokohama on the Nozomi Shinkansen which probably takes about 15 minutes. Tokyo - Nagoya takes about an hour from memory and is probably the shortest trip on which the train reaches full speed out of Tokyo. They sell little picnic boxes ("Bento") at the station which you can eat at your seat - very Japanese...

I have been lots of times for two-week stints, but not for [mumbles...] about [mumbles a bit more...] thirty five years.  :blush:

Interesting to hear that you still must beware of taxi doors! They used to run on propane and smelled like sweet corn. Very safe place even for a woman after dark (or was, anyhow) and I accidentally left my camera (Rolleiflex 35 SLR) on a restaurant table and when I went back a little while later the staff were on the street looking for the gaijin (foreigner) who'd been daft enough to buy a German camera! 'Benjo' is name for toilet in case you need it... Have a great time!  :t-up:

Don't press the buttons on/by your hotel toilet.  Irrespective of whether you're sitting or standing at the time, you might get a surprise!

Russ,

Info from the Missis (originally from Gifu)

Hope its of help and enjoy your trip  :)

These websites are  useful and full of information and got english pages.

Technology & modern culture: http://akiba.or.jp/english/index.html
 (very busy lots of shops etc)

(it is sumo season & tickets are on sale)

(biggest fish market and not far from where you are staying)

Hope this helps and have a good holiday

Jon Clancy!  Where are you when we need you?….probably swanning it in some dive in Tokyo…...

Er... Shanghai, actually.   :d