SDV rear diff & suspension questions.

peet

My cars a sierra based SDV kit. I know the rear track is wider than normal wide bodies and the arches are wider.

My question is are there any noticeable advantages with standard set ups over a SDV's? Is it worth the time, effort, money to swap over on a road going Westy?

Knowledgable opinions please!

Depends on you want to do with the car IMHO. If road work and the odd spirited track day is all it will see, then nope, it ain't worth the expense/effort.

If you need to start reducing weight, and fitting fat 13" wheels/tyres for sprinting and racing, then it could well be worth the effort.

Bearing in mind it might well be cheaper to sell the car and buy one with the standard IRS rather than convert your existing car...

Not with standing Stu's comments, it also pays to consider the long term.

If you plan on keeping the car a long time and you think you can benefit from whatever advantages you gain, then it might be worthwhile.

But consider the potential effect on second hand values of turning it into a sort of hybrid combination of different Westfield models.

Not only are you not going to re coup the cost of the conversion, you're likely to find it being less attractive to buyers than a regular SDV,

Also consider that you've also still got the Sierra front end, unless you convert that too.

I would have thought that the wide rear would be a help in sprinting / racing. You may need to change the rear drums to disks, but there are a few conversions around for this.

On my SDV the front just has normal uprights, wider wishbones, but you could go wider still.

Thanks chaps my feelings were enjoy this car as is, see if I need more power etc (its a pinto) and if so buy another car in a few years time when I know what I really want that sound sensible?

Tbh I'm loving just driving it for any reason at the moment and I'm still learning about the car. Funny I only wanted a simple road car originally now I fancy a go at the sprint series!

• 9 months later...

I would have thought that the wide rear would be a help in sprinting / racing. You may need to change the rear drums to disks, but there are a few conversions around for this.

On my SDV the front just has normal uprights, wider wishbones, but you could go wider still.

So do you race with your SDV setup then Nick? Ive just bought an SDV and feel i need to change to the Cortina setup to gain the best out of the car but i'm interested to know if anyone has a counter-arguement on the subject.

PS. Sorry to hijack the thread Peet ;)

So do you race with your SDV setup then Nick? Ive just bought an SDV and feel i need to change to the Cortina setup to gain the best out of the car but i'm interested to know if anyone has a counter-arguement on the subject.

PS. Sorry to hijack the thread Peet ;)

No, unfortunately I didn't, Luke & Richard pinched the engine for a Supertec  :d  :d  :d  :d  :d

But I don;t see any reason why that chassis should not be very good. It already has a very wide rear and put a wide front on, you could almost get to Flymo width  :d

I was thinking the same too but think i'll suffer with crap wheel offset choices and also restricted to 15". :down:

Nonetheless i think i will run it like this for a while and see how it goes.

Thanks again.

I was thinking the same too but think i'll suffer with crap wheel offset choices and also restricted to 15". :down:

Nonetheless i think i will run it like this for a while and see how it goes.

Thanks again.

I reckon 13" would fit with the correct brake setup and if you can get the offset (ET37 min for 7" on my SDV) - I measured just under 1" between the inside of the wheel and the Golf caliper on 240mm disc, so a slimmer caliper would fit.

Edit to point out I have 15" wheels, hence 1" off the radius was my reference point, hope that makes sense!

• Like 1

interesting point Kingster and thanks. Still going to struggle on wheel choices though on ET37-38 on 13". I'll run the 15's for now and see how i go i think.

interesting point Kingster and thanks. Still going to struggle on wheel choices though on ET37-38 on 13". I'll run the 15's for now and see how i go i think.

Someone in the local club shoul have one you can try to see what it looks like ?

• 3 years later...
On 31/12/2013 at 05:42, peet said:

Thanks chaps my feelings were enjoy this car as is, see if I need more power etc (its a pinto) and if so buy another car in a few years time when I know what I really want that sound sensible?

Tbh I'm loving just driving it for any reason at the moment and I'm still learning about the car. Funny I only wanted a simple road car originally now I fancy a go at the sprint series!

The red mist syndrome gets to most of us after driving around for awhile on the road.

Let's face it Westy's are meant to be on the track.

Holy thread resurrection Batman. :)

Peet hasn't been on here for about two years but I’m sure he’s enjoying his Wessie somewhere. :yes: