What's in a name.

nismo

Just started reading "Westfield The Story" by Paul Robinson and Jeremy Bouckley and I now the understand prefix you see on some cars

"Pre Lit".

Over on Piston Heads in the  Caterham forum some has asked the Question "Westfield vs Caterham" blimey the wave of Righteous indignation that followed was scary.

One reply that sticks in my mind was in response to the statement " After all you never see anyone going from Caterham to Westfield"

the reply simply said "You have now"......

:laugh:    you should see some of the 'carbon fibre wars' threads on there or the Fastest Caterham battles.... :rolleyes:

:laugh:    you should see some of the 'carbon fibre wars' threads on there or the Fastest Caterham battles.... :rolleyes:

Yes it is very Hand Bags at Dawn over there..

That's why I'm here and no longer there.

You were the inspiration for the thread.... you are probably now seen as a heretic :devil:

HustleRussell said:
I think the main reasons people go for Caterhams is;
-Perceived 'classic' status
-Perceived better quality
-Generally people think Caterham technical information and aftersales parts/services supply is better
-Personal preferences re: cosmetic appearance of the cars.

I lifted this from Westfield vs Caterham battle over on piston heads I think it sums it up rather well.

I am old enough to remember the  first Lotus Seven with the 100e side valve engine, and  of course "The Prisoner" so when I first got The idea to replace by bike with a kit car I looked at the Caterham,  then I discovered that 15 and 17 year caterhams with the old K series engine had asking prices in excess of 12k.

At my last track day at Keevil, with the Dorset WSCCers and Burlers, there was a slightly bigger group of Caterhams from the Berkshire/Surrey/Hampshire area and a couple of GBS Zeros. An excellent days was had by all with rain/hale over lunch just to make the afternoon session more interesting. There was plenty of interaction between groups, sharing tools/spares, rides in cars, swapping upgrade ideas and engine installation challenges - all petrolheads enjoying the day. Hopefully others will have similar experience and find that most owners are true enthusiasts who, whilst passionate about their own marks, respect others views and enjoy sharing their experiences and banter.

• Like 1

Always thought the same about the " dreaded Q reg " yet no-one has ever given me a good reason as to what difference it makes . I genuinely don't know if Caterhams are better built or just a better symbol . I passed an old chap in one last week who gave me the smuttiest look I've ever had - proper looked at me like I was a dirty little urchin who'd just knicked his wallet .

I couldn't care less as most prob wont unless I'm just uneducated in the kit car area ( saying that I am a newbie ) .

Could be an interesting discussion for newcomers .- bring on the summer !!or just warm weather !!

Surely they must be called 'Crawley 7s' now seeing how they are there now? That'd upset any snob!

I was looking at Caterhams as well as Westys but they were too expensive for the same product for me!

One thing Westfields definitely Have over Caterhams is that when you take out a full membership with WSCC  you get sent a small dog........ :suspect:

Always thought the same about the " dreaded Q reg " yet no-one has ever given me a good reason as to what difference it makes . I genuinely don't know if Caterhams are better built or just a better symbol . 

It is split on here, some people like age related so they can transfer private plates, however having a Q it never shows its age and emissions are much easier than if you get a new reg plate. 1972 smoke test, which my MOT tester advised me it would have to very bad to fail!

Welcome newbies.

you get sent a small dog........ :suspect:

Dog? was it a dark coloured German Shepherd? ...... :cry: ..get me out of here.......... :lg-westy:

One thing Westfields definitely Have over Caterhams is that when you take out a full membership with WSCC  you get sent a small dog........ :suspect:

If it looks like the one in this picture:

photo-14637.jpg?_r=1383297802

...our MemSec has got "dog" and "membership pack" mixed up again... heard it rumoured that it has happened before.

The way I see it is, Caterhams are for people who have little or no interest in building cars and have plenty of spare cash.

Westfields are for the true petrolheads who like building and maintaining their cars. 

The one time I did manage to have a conversation with a Caterham driver at a trackday, and I had to drag a few words out of him, he didn't know anything about the type of engine in his steed, all he knew was that it was a K series and was specifically built for Caterham. He was quite dismissive that it was an engine that graced the engine bays of a few hundred thousand MG Rovers. :d .