Free 7 day Driveaway insurance

Pantherman

Most car OEM authorized dealers I know seem to offer it as part of the deal on a new or used car.

It's a win/win/win deal.

Advantage for the dealer, he gets the cover note (so can tax the car) and knows that you can legally drive away.

Advantage for the insurance company, they get your details  --  and can offer you an annual quote.

You get seven days to look for the lowest quote.

I once had it offered to me when I used HPI to confirm history of vehicle but not sure if this offer is still available.

No, you won't get it free, but you can buy 1, 2 or 3day day insurance to drive your new car home, starts at about £12 for the 1 day.    The temp insurers are only on line, Google them.

• 2 weeks later...

Earlier this year, i sold my old car and had to wait 2 weeks for the new one to be delivered. In the intervening period i put the old policy on hold, took out temporary cover with my existing insurance (Privilege) company on a week by week basis on a borrowed car (it was about £25 per 7 days) and then re-instated the old policy with the new car.

all done over the phone and was really easy to sort - ask your insurance company if they will do the same.