High spec dry-sumped Vauxhall C20XE complete package, now breaking...

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman

Please see the end of the thread for latest updates.

I'm making a change over to Honda power so will need to move on my current Vauxhall engine.

As it's rather too expensive for an impulse purchase, I thought I'd post up a bit of an advanced warning! Currently, the engine is still in the car, and will remain there till at least the end of December/start of January. Up until then it can be heard and seen running. (In fact, the car should still be drivable till at least after Christmas).

I'm offering it first as a complete ready to install package: full engine, ecu, sensors, wiring loom, bonnet exit Simpsons exhaust system, (repackable), dry-sump system including tank, remote oil filter and oil plumbing. I'll even throw in a set of Westfield engine mounts with heavy duty SBD rubber mounts.

I'll work out an exact price once once I've tidied everything up in December. (And after it's been on the dyno, for a final check over)

If required, you can also have first dibs on an XE to Type 9 bell housing and hydraulic clutch system, though these will be a separate sale.

ZE9T2462.jpg

ZE9T2465.jpg

IMAGE_8.jpeg

Vauxhall C20XE Specification:

Bottom End

Block, 1990/91 Over-bored for 87.5 mm pistons, giving 2069 cc displacement.

Crank, late 'eighties "early" type - this is generally preferred in higher spec engines as it's lighter, better shaped and better finished.

Heavy duty ACL main bearings fitted

Heavy duty ARP main bearing bolts.

Redline Steel con rods, installed with heavy duty big end bearings and ARP2000 big end bolts. (These are the higher performance versions of ARP's own heavy duty bolts).

Omega high compression 87.5mm pistons.

SBD twin trough dry-sump pan

SBD dry-sump oil pump blanking plate including oil inlet connection.

SBD dip stick/block breather delete kit installed.

New cam belt pulleys and cam belt installed at last refresh, cam belt back plate removed.

Water pump replaced when engine originally rebuilt.

Top End

Head, 1991, v. lightly ported and polished. Central oilway sleeved and waterways treated with ceramic coating system to prevent porosity.

QED Race springs, (twins) fitted.

Titanium valve spring retainers fitted.

Lightweight steel one piece tappets (non-hydraulic) shimmed and fitted.

QED Q450V cams installed.

Alloy vernier cam pulleys fitted.

Cam cover modified and re-powder coated. (Cam belt cover rear lip removed - allows more clearance below bonnet, breather and oil cap openings fitted with turned alloy bungs.)

Ancillaries

QED Lightweight alternator pulley

Lightweight (45 Amp?) alternator.

SBD Lightweight alternator mounting kit.

SBD/Jenvey inlet manifold with cold start bypass and coolant self-bleed take off and fuel rail suitable for AN fittings.

Jenvey SF individual taper throttle bodies. Inc. 90mm trumpets.

Reverie manufactured carbon fibre 30mm stepped air filter back plate. (Flat alloy back plate available)

Caterham carbon fibre air filter cover - significantly reduces extreme intake noise.

Bosch Astra VXR injectors.

Crank sensor

Water temp sensor

Air temp sensor

OEM Beru ignition leads

Coil pack.

SBD coil pack mount - locates coil pack on rear of head.

MBE 967 ecu with map

Engine loom for above.

Adjustable Fuel pressure regulator.

Turbosport ultralight weight aluminium flywheel, fitted with ARP flywheel bolts. (circa 2.8 kg without ring gear), note, it does come with ring gear fitted though!

Helix heavy duty clutch, (plate and cover, probably needs a new plate though, by now)

Pace three stage (two scavenge/one pressure) dry sump pump and mounting brackets.

SBD tall/narrow style dry sump tank.

Mocal remote oil filter mount.

Mocal hoses and fittings required to plumb in the DS system. (New hoses may be required if you locate components differently. Fittings may be reused if carefully removed).

Simpson's exhaust manifold (bonnet exit) and silencer (re-packable). (Note, header lengths customised slightly from the base SBD lengths/diameters to suit my engine spec).

The engine will be paying a visit to Blink for a final tune-up on the dyno and a print out for at the wheels figures prior to the advert being finalised. Found an old plot on line from a session at Ric Wood's, pre dry sump and with QED450 cams instead of Q450V's clicky. Thanks to a crank sensor issue on the day, I was also 1500 rpm short of the red line!

Last time I priced it out, to purchase a new engine package to this spec and with everything that this includes would cost upwards of £10k. (The dry sump kit alone would set you back in the region of £2k, installed! While the carbon airbox assembly is over £400)

May as well start the inevitable vulture decent :)

First dibs on the hydraulic clutch setup if its avail

Phil

Have no problems with vultures...

If no interest in it with the engine, it's yours.

If there's no interest in the whole package I will indeed break it. There's a provisional first dibs on the dry sump set up from Bob, but it was some time ago, so he may have changed his mind.

dont break such a fantastic engine - it should stay complete and be fitted to a SE in my garage  :d   need any logs Dave?

dont break such a fantastic engine - it should stay complete and be fitted to a SE in my garage  :d   need any logs Dave?

Yours for the right price; just wrap the logs up in nice crisp currency  ;) 

To be honest there's so many years solid development in that engine, it would break my heart to split. (Odd really, as there's just as much in the car, but that doesn't bother me so much, I guess it's cause many of the lessons learned will come with me).

I thought you were building a whole new car rather than an engine swap or will you put a more basic engine in to sell the car?

Regards

David

• Like 1

I'm breaking the car. Its worth more parted out than as a whole car. Haven't the time or space to do three builds, and some of the car I want for the new one anyway.

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.