Modern Alfa's

Pistol Pete

Had a 155 V6 for 13 years I think it was. Apart from a leaky A/C evaporator from day 1, an appetite for front tyres, largely cured by fitting poly bushes to the front lower arms, couple of door locks, oh, and it destroyed the cam lobes, no real issues.

Currently running a 2001 166 V6 and it's been good to us so far. Service items like lower wishbones at about 110k, I DIYed the cambelt/waterpump etc at 100k, it wanted rear shocks, springs & top mounts last year, a front spring broke, and one CV. Everything electrical/electronic works the way it should apart from drivers heated seat...and it's got a crap load of electrical stuff in it. It's a genuine mobile phone - SIM slot in the dashboard for the integrated phone. Sat nav, climate etc, auto wipers that work. Other than the seat, a problem is door locks (like the 155) but I have now figured out how to repair those by stripping down the actuator rather than shelling out £80 or so for new ones. Another common Alfa problem for most of the modern ones is handbrake - the cables go stiff, then the adjusters stop working properly, then the handbrake gets iffy along with the footbrake. Easily and cheaply fixed as long as you catch it early.

I like the fact I can buy a £30k car for about £3k Just need to be prepared to get your hands dirty I think.

What to replace the 166 with then the time comes is going to be a hard choice. I really should get something a bit more econimcal, but still think it'll end up being another Alfa. Love the looks of the 159, the Brera and the GT but these are all older cars now, a diesel is no good to me (short trips) so may try a Giulietta, possibly the small MA version with TCT.

Norm, a mate of mine had a 1300 GT Junior - we found it in back garden with grass growing out of the front grille......and it wasn't rotten, which was unexpected. We cleaned it up, serviced it and he had a good fews years out of it. Lovely wee car. I was bowling about in Fiat 124 Sport Coupes at the time.

I "borrowed" the Alfa 1300 GT Junior from a friend. The first few weeks I thought it was crap and wondered what all the fuss was about.

Then, one Friday, we were supposed to be round at friends for 7:30 PM and I was still in the west end at 7:00.

I drove the nuts off the car and it all clicked. One of those rare moments when you become one with thecar. I kept it about a year then swapped it for her Rolls Royce. Gave it back after a month or two, not my cup of tea. She wouldn't let me have her Porsche 3.3 turbo.

The alfa is one of my top 3 cars (excluding the 7). The others are a Cortina Lotus and a Lancia Integralle.

My. Favourite cars HERE

(ed to add that I changed it to a link which I couldn't do on my tablet.)

Had my Giulietta cloverleaf from new (60 plate), mechanically had no problems at all.

Electrical had a few problems, repeated integrated Sat-Nav issues and air bag issues, unknown battery drain problems etc... 

Most have been sorted quickly by the dealer, however a couple took a long time for parts to be available from Italy; this may be more dealer ineptitude as I've no love for Lookers Sheffield.  

It is my first Alfa, arguably not a 'proper one'; its ultimately okay but wouldn't want a replacement when the lease runs out next year.

Sean. 

Having just sold my russo red GT, i can 100% confirm any russo red Alfa is quicker than any other colour.

It was a amazing car, handling, ride, performance (despite it being slower than my new car) always felt so quick..... but you will need a reliable independent garage.

and you will be on first name terms before long.

Scratch that itch, tick that box and move on!

Thanks for your comments, decided with a heavy heart to steer clear. Maybe one day but not now.

Smokey - PM sent re the Scooby. ;)

Thanks Pete :t-up: I've been away but saw it late yesterday :) will reply tonight :yes::cool: