MattB's 'garage' clear out

M444TTB

matt, i'd like the heater, could you show me a pic of it when it was in location to see if its the one I need for mine?? please???

7451DAC8-10CC-45DF-A9B9-354BD34EF331-110

under the plate is a hole for the fan inlet. sorry for the naff photo its the only one I have at the min

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• M444TTB

• Steve_Farrimond

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman

• Dommo

I'll see what I can do. Bar the two pipes on the scuttle (and bolts) there was no sign of it until you got under the dash though

After a quick Google, this is about the best pic I found of the heater as fitted in a Speedsport/factory build dash.

6785464391_a47fe00eb9_b.jpg

Note the vents used within the car are different to the later round type used with the regular scuttle.

I believe a lot of people crack 'em in half to fit em in the boot!

**** knows why! Folded and rolled neatly mine easily fits in my boot whole, without cracking the channel in half!

I can't find any pics of it in situ I'm afraid. It was dead central in the dash though. Them had two tubes coming off it to direct air. The water inlet / outlet were on the near side of the scuttle. That I do have a pic of.

The pic that Dave has put up is like mine. Do you reckon that would fit?

From that picture it looks like the hot air outlets need to be on the other side of the heater unit. Mine has both the water inlet / outlet and hot air outlet on the same side.

The side panels on the heater box are interchangeable, on the centre mount version used in kit build scuttles you have a plate with two outlets on, either side of the plenum. (The top outlet on each side goes to the demister moulding, the bottom one has a short piece of pipe and a plastic vent with a shutter on the front to direct air into the footwells. (The shutter closes them and sends all the air to the demister.)

The old factory built scuttle like you've got Steve, appears to have one side blanked off. Not sure how they arranged the other though, possibly put a Y splitter on each outlet? 

It's easy to modify the plenum though, it's just sheet metal, with side panels fixed by screws. The two big brackets in Matts pic, that stand it off the inside of the scuttle just unscrew too, that's what I did with mine, so that I could mount it straight to the grp.

I reckon with a bit of work and a bit of lateral thinking, you could make that one fit without too much trouble.

Have to say, I don't remember seeing one advertised second hand for your moulded type scuttle. I'm sure they do probably come up, but damned rarely.

thanks for the help. I might see them at westfield on sat and see what they say, then take it from there.

Right, dug out some more info re the heater for the Speedsport.

With this version of the scuttle, it doesn't look like WF used a heater/fan assembly with hose connections on. So you could use the one for sale above. You'd need to remove BOTH plates with hose connections, and blank off the one facing the engine bay. The one facing the scuttle is then left open, and blows through that slotted hole you can see in the photo.

However, inside the scuttle, on the other side of that hole, you should have the heater/vent distribution box. This is a separate plenum, with a drop down flap underneath to direct air into the passenger footwell, two hose take off's on top that link to the demister vents, and a hose take off on the right hand side that links to the right hand footwell heater vent box. 

If you don't have the heater/vent distribution box, you could try asking at the factory if they have any left, or you'd have to make something.

Steve I will be at the meet tomorrow and you can have a look at my installation.

1999 Speedsport.

Cheers guy's i'll see what I can dig up with westfield, thanks.

Had a look at Andy's car last night; if you don't have the heater/vent distribution box and Westfield can't help, it looks straightforward enough to make something that would do the job.

the vent box within the car? I already have that plumbed in, with all the nozzles etc... I just need a heater/fan unit.

In that case, looks easy! I'd be surprised if Matt's doesn't fit. To check, you just need to compare the dimensions of the heater box that he's got, to make sure it fits lying face down where that aly blanking plate is.

Be staggered if it didn't though, as they're all based on an old Mini matrix.

Provided it does, you just unscrew the two mounting brackets, you don't need those, and unscrew the side plates with the outlets on. You will need to cut a rectangle of aly out to screw back on where one set of outlets went, but that's it, jobs a good un!

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.