Help with alternative side screen 'strap'! Please!

Onliest Smeg David

I have just upgraded to JK Composite seats, as some of you will be aware of.

(with which I am very very pleased :) )

They have high sides that cover the stud that the side screen strap attaches to making it impossible to shut the side screens once in the car. :bangshead:  I may have been spotted clambering awkwardly out of my Westie at Stoneleigh  :blush:

Please would you give me suggestions on how to change the attachment to suit, ideally with photos.

I know some of you have moved the stud forward, however this will not work for me as SWMBO is 'vertically challenged' so the drivers seat will sometimes be a long way forward.

Thanks for your help...

David

bungie strap across from one door  to the other once your in ,it can act as a second seatbelt two

How about further back, up the wheel arch?  Awkward to get to once you're in the car I know.  Or a stud inside the seat just for when her ladyship drives, that would mean 2 straps and studs, one fixing point for each of you.   Best solution is just forget about the doors, I don't like em at all.

Thanks wuv!!!!! I knew I'd get some sensible answers!

I'd already thought of driving with one hand holding it shut, but your way is far better! 

Best solution is just forget about the doors, I don't like em at all.

:yes:  :yes: 

However, I'm an 'almost' all weather all year user so sometimes they are essential.

If the seat if further forward you should have some space behind to attach the stud too, problem is you may not be able to fasten it when inside - problem. You may have to do the gentlemanly thing and bolt yer missus in before yourself. There must be an area on the side rail which can be used instead. Mine are not exactly easy to get too but both can be done from the seated position with the seats well back of course.

Bob :)

I saw one westy at the show that had their straps fixed to the centre of the side screen rather than at the flappy end. 

It would mean an extra hole in your door though. 

Would a bit of self adhesive velcro on the underside of strap and on the interior panel hold them?

I had the same problem but I moved the popstud forward but I've been thinking about using on of them strong neodymium (I think that's what they are called) magnets to hold the door shut but I've yet to try it

Could you put a stud on both ends of the strap? Would it then give better access to the door end of the strap when in the car and the ability to remove it completely when the doors are off?

I had the same problem but I moved the popstud forward but I've been thinking about using on of them strong neodymium (I think that's what they are called) magnets to hold the door shut but I've yet to try it

Neodymium-ferro-boron.  Rare earth magnets, 

Thanks all

GreenandMean - I had been thinking along the lines of velcro as a short term fix.

Stuart, on 23 May 2013 - 10:53 PM, said:snapback.png

Neodymium-ferro-boron.  Rare earth magnets, 

Mmmmm, might look further into this one.

Have to say I was expecting a few more wonderfully ingenious piccies of working examples!

You've just got an unusual combination of needs. plenty of people with sidescreens have JK's and most simply move the press stud position forward. (It's a common mod with regular seats too, as it can be awkward getting at the rear mounted popper when strapped in). But allowing for a sliding seat is a bit more tricky.

Personally, I'd just  fit a popper base to the door in both positions so that you could unclip the strap and move it forwards or back depending on seat position.

I've got the neo magnets helping to hold the hood to the door. I wouldn't have said they're strong enough to hold the door shut - there's a lot of air pressure on them at speed, trying to twist the lower door edges away from the tub.

I've never strapped my doors shut.  Never had a problem - the wind flow keeps them shut nice and tight.  Occasionally, when stopped and there is a wind blowing, they flap open but never otherwise.  Just done some 500 miles on the YDG and no problems at all including in the pouring rain and some high winds.