#1 ManuFromParis

ManuFromParis

Pedestrian

• Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Car Details:Westfield SEiW 2000 - Zetec 1.8 FI
  • My Location:Paris

Posted 01 July 2012 - 06:45 AM

I'm thinking going wide-track but I'm pretty sure the extension parts going on the steering-rods and provided with the Westfield Kit wouldn't be approved by the French MOT (Contrôle Technique).
Is there a way to swap the steering rods for longer ones or to replace the whole rack with a wider one, keeping the geometry the same of course (Inner Rod Joints Width)

The extension parts are the stainless steel parts, in the middle of the picture :
Posted Image

Posted Image

Same question with shocks :
I'm a not a big fan of adding those "shock supports" and wonder if the standard shocks could be extended using the main setting : my shocks look like they could be extended at least 25mm, maybe more :
(I don't know which ref they are, but they were ordered new from Westfield in 2001)

Posted Image

Edited by ManuFromParis, 01 July 2012 - 06:52 AM.

#2 luxseven

luxseven

Average Joe Driver

• WSCC Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
  • Car Details:Westfield SEi Vulcan X/flow Jenvey Emerald Injection

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:17 AM

Hi Manu,

I looked for other rod ends for quite some time and didn't find anything else or a different rack. Everybody seems to be happy with those extensions. I wonder if the luxembourgish tech control will say anything ...
As for the shocks, the rear shocks normally have the right length to use without the extenders up front.
Greetings from Lululand (and sevener.fr Forum ;) ).
Jos ;)

#3 ManuFromParis

ManuFromParis

Pedestrian

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:40 AM

:(
That's what I feared...

The rear shocks ??!? Is the spring stiffness the same ???

#4 Dave Eastwood (gadgetman) - WSCC AO Rep

Dave Eastwood (gadgetman) - WSCC AO Rep

AO - Cheshire / N. Staffs, AO-Representative

• Administrator
  • 17,516 posts
  • Car Details:Building a Mega S2000
  • My Location:Cheshire

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:08 AM

No, you'd need to change the springs.

AFAIK, I've never seen anyone posting one here about changing the "rods" for longer versions, though it would be possible if you could find something the correct length and with the right ends.

Otherwise you could hunt for an alternative rack with the right dimensions. Or Titan will make a rack to your specifications, in which case you could have, at a price, whatever widths and ratio you wanted.

#5 ManuFromParis

ManuFromParis

Pedestrian

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:18 AM

http://www.titan.uk.net/steering.php

Those guys I guess ? Probably not cheap...
:(

But I'm affraid it would be a "need" for the french-MOT, if I swap for the wide-track !
Thanx very much for the tips !
:yes:

My steering rack is a "quick" one "with stops" so I guess it's worth some money on ebay... any idea what price I could get from it ?

Edited by ManuFromParis, 01 July 2012 - 08:22 AM.

#6 Dave Eastwood (gadgetman) - WSCC AO Rep

Dave Eastwood (gadgetman) - WSCC AO Rep

AO - Cheshire / N. Staffs, AO-Representative

• Administrator
  • 17,516 posts
  • Car Details:Building a Mega S2000
  • My Location:Cheshire

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:23 AM

Yeah, they're the ones.

#7 Kevin Jones

Kevin Jones

Average Joe Driver

• WSCC Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Car Details:Megabusa Turbo
  • My Location:Harrogate

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:26 AM

Pretty sure I have some longer steering rods somewhere that I picked up with a wide track kit. Suspect they were made/supplied by procomp, will take a look to see if I can find them.

Edit: Found them, they are ~290mm long compared to standard which look to be ~220mm. Never tried to fit them but they look nicely made.

#8 ManuFromParis

ManuFromParis

Pedestrian

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:13 PM

Pretty sure I have some longer steering rods somewhere that I picked up with a wide track kit. Suspect they were made/supplied by procomp, will take a look to see if I can find them.

Edit: Found them, they are ~290mm long compared to standard which look to be ~220mm. Never tried to fit them but they look nicely made.

If you don't use them and want to sell => manu404 at free dot fr
:)

#9 luxseven

luxseven

Average Joe Driver

• WSCC Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
  • Car Details:Westfield SEi Vulcan X/flow Jenvey Emerald Injection

Posted 02 July 2012 - 08:39 AM

I was only talking about the shocks which may have the required length to apply up front.
The spring will have to be a different one according to the engine weight, but you can have those pretty anywhere if you know the length, weight and compression rate.
Concerning the rack, I don't know which solution would be the best: screwing on those extensions or fiddling with the original rack (disassemble/reassemble).
You will have to find somebody to do it for you with the right tools or is it a bolt in/out job?
As for the MOT maybe it's ok if you take along the invoice and a description and show them that's officially thought to be like that.
Good luck anyway.

Jos

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users