Things to look out for when buying first Westie

Sparkymart

Take someone with you who knows west fields and also decide on what engine etc you want

• Like 1

Check the car is correctly registered as a Westfield on the V5 document

Condition is far more important than age.

To me a tidy engine bay that doesn't have a birds nests of wires and hoses will suggest a car that has been cared for and maintained through it's life rather than botched and modified. Scotchlocks Are the work of the devil and have no place in an engine bay.

If buying an older car then stick your head under the back of the car and check the condition of suspension and trailing arm brackets. They're one of the few parts of a westfield that are exposed to the elements and prone to rusting as they're less accessible and visible for cleaning.

You may to always find a car that matches exactly what you're looking for, however being a kit car most things are easy to change to make it the car you want and good parts will have some value second hand.

The best advice I can offer is make it just what the thread tittle says.  A viewing.

It's become a bit of a cliche but the more you see the better feel you will get for them - Try a local meet if you haven't already.  It really is a must do  :yes:

It's nice to see documented history. If a car had been well maintained it speaks for its self.

If the car is listed as having loads of goodies, LSD for eg. Make sure you check it does. It's so easy to say my car has this and that fitted but weather it does of not is another story enging tuning mods are a prime example of this.

Everything I have done to mine has a pile of receipts and loads of photos.

make sure it leaks, wont start when warm and your GF moans when she goes out in it... and get a good osteopath :p

I followed the advise give above when I viewed a car. Hopefully you'll be able to ask the vendor to take the bonnet and nosecone off and a real good look at the chassis and engine, a bent chassis will be obvious but look for signs of rust in the box section joints, have a look for excessive fluid leaks. Take a friend who au fait with buying cars, doesn't have to be very technical but can point out things you may have missed. You have to be aware that GRP bodywork doesn't always align as well as the normal massed produced tin tops, they are always assembled with a of bit compromise in gaps. What you going see?

All of the above. There are of course specifics when looking at a car such as a Westfield, however, common sense and head over heart usually wins the day. There is so much you can do to the car once you have bought one with good solid mechanicals. Go and see at least three and have a really good look around them before you choose.

Best of all, you MUST get to a local meet.

If you see something you like on these very forums then you will be fairly certain to get a really good car. If you see something else, let us know - it will either be known to someone here or someone with a very keen eye and lots more knowledge than myself will give a fair appraisal.

For me, the engine/bhp was the 1st deciding factor, followed by wet weather gear, then finally appearance and price. After that, it comes down to whether you trust the seller - which is normally an immediate reaction upon talking/meeting with them.

If I were to buy another I'd have held out for a car with a LSD. Get as many goodies as you can as they are amazing value used compared to frighteningly expensive new!