Self Cancelling Indicators

ian clear

Phew, BeamStop assembly and installation instructions finished and added with the BlinkStop stuff:

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/blog/13/entry-280-self-cancelling-indicator-blinkstop/ 

d7761512-1d25-482d-afcb-23bdf6a9e915_zps

I have a few kits and assembled units left:

BlinkStop £49.50 assembled, £22.50 kit

BeamStop £40 assembled, £21.50 kit

Please email me (address in the fitting instructions) if you want one.

I realised that BeamStop could be used as a foglight controller, or to turn a normal relay into a smart latching relay that resets with ignition, so I may make a new product just because I like the sound of FogOFF!

:):getmecoat:  

• Like 1

My Kit has just arrived - cheers Mike - realistically it's going to be a while before I find time to build it, but will report back once done.

No rush for me though, as I haven't even started to tear the car apart yet!

Mike

my kit arrived Monday, yesterday I set about soldering my kit (took me longer to find my soldering iron than the assembly), I am no electronics expert but can use a soldering iron, following your instructions the kit was soldered without problems, it will be a while before its on the car as this is currently undergoing major work.

thanks for the kit,

for those contemplating do not be put off by the need to self assembly, if I can do it any one with a steady hand can.

cheers

Chris

• Like 1

Great, well done Chris! 

Who's going to get one actually fitted, first, though :)

Mike,

Recieved both items today l will let you know when I pluck up the courage to fit it all.

Cheers

Andy

• Like 1

I realised that BeamStop could be used as a foglight controller, or to turn a normal relay into a smart latching relay that resets with ignition, so I may make a new product just because I like the sound of FogOFF!

:):getmecoat:  

I believe someone already makes a 'FogOff' It's used when towing a trailer or caravan, so when you switch on your rear fog lights while towing, the ones on the towcar stay off.

Car builder do an IVA fog light controller - there was, and still is, confusion with how the fog lamp ruling is worded. VOSA have issued clarification, but not altered the manual, (well, they hadn't at the start of the year), so many still use the module anyway, just to be on the safe side and avoid arguing rules with an inspector.

Basically the module will let you use a switch to turn the rear fog lamp on or off. Westfields loom already ensures the fog lamp can only be on at the same time as sidelights or dipped/main beam. BUT, the module ensures that when you turn the headlights or sidelights off, with fog light still on, when you turn the sides or headlights back on again, the fog light is OFF.

That's it, Dave. So anyone could solder up their own as an alternative to the CBS one.

FYI, it's Cartek that make the foglight module that CBS and Demon Tweeks sell. Its £36 posted. And I didn't need one for my iva (and I know of others who didn't need one either, at different test stations), so I question the point of them.

No one needs one as long as the basic wiring to ensure they only come on with the lights, is right, the point was that the IVA manual is very poorly written and made it appear that they must turn off with the lights AND NOT TURN BACK ON AGAIN, until turned on with the fog lamp button. As I said, VOSA has issued a correction, which explains what is required, and shows them as unnecessary, but the manual hasn't been altered yet.

I guess enough of us out there have met awkward inspectors who might not have registered the new info, and just wanted to avoid the issue. There's enough of the Cartek modules floating round on the cheap, as they get removed after IVA, that many have just popped them on as a belt and braces precaution, I know I'd did - I got one that had already done at least one IVA before mine!

• 1 month later...

Mike/anyone I've fitted the blink stop but it looks like I need to replace the relay, the one that is fitted has 3 blades but the one Mike suggests to replace it with in the fitting instructions has 2 blades.

Will this work?

Hi Andy, 3 or 2 blade shouldn't matter- the relay just needs to be rated comfortably low enough for the indicator load. What front/side/rear bulbs do you have, and please can you see what words are printed on the side of the existing relay, or post a photo? You can check if the problem is definitely the relay by bridging the power in/out pins- then the indicators should work but without the flash.

Also, beware the pin layouts when changing relays- there is no common standard so you need to match the connectors to the diagram on the actual relay

Hi Mike, I have already bridged across the relay & all works bar in he flashing here's the relay.

F43674D7-4B20-48FC-BCA6-AB72702A28C8_zps

I have led lights all round bar the front ones but these are going to be changed to led.

Ah, makes sense - you're right at the bottom of the range (or just below it). The other side of the relay ( or base) should show the pin layout- post this and we can recommend the best equivalent for LED's