Self Cancelling Indicators

ian clear

I have the usual toggle switch operated indicators, and am fed up with other road users flashing me if I forget

to cancel them. Coming from an old school electronic back ground I have designed a self canceling indicator unit. It also contains the flasher unit and Hazard unit if you wish.

Any one interested in obtaining a copy of the circuit, feel free to reply.

I got some from the States some time ago. They work through 2 momentary switches. A light touch will operate them for a short period, a longer touch will operate them longer and hold the switch for 1 second and they flash away for ages. Press both switches and you get hazard warning mode. Hazard function isn't legal as regs call for a separate illuminated switch.

The unit itself was about credit card size and about 1 cm thick. It is meant for motorbikes but works well in my 7.

I should add that the Hazard unit requires a separate switch with a suitable light. The indicators will flash for 20 seconds (adjustable) and can be cancelled manualy by pressing the indicator a second time.

I presume you're using a momentary contact closure for the left, another for right, and then a single one for hazard operation?

(interested, as you may gather!)

Ian, I said the hazard switch needed to be a separate illuminated switch. However I've passed every MOT since fitting mine and that must be about 10 years.

I can't remember the specs of mine but think the lowest level is 7 seconds. If I get time I'll go and time them. If you want the info let me know and I'll do it this afternoon.

I'd be interested in your circuit. I've got one of those boxes Norman is talking about but it would still be interesting to see how you did it :)

I couldn't figure out how to use a third switch without a relay which I didn't want. last MIT I just told the guy you press both together to get the hazards. He seemed ok with that

• Like 1

Took my self canceller off. Blooming nuisance, have a beeper to remind me you tend not to forget when there is no self cancel.

I'd be interested in your circuit. I've got one of those boxes Norman is talking about but it would still be interesting to see how you did it :)

I couldn't figure out how to use a third switch without a relay which I didn't want. last MIT I just told the guy you press both together to get the hazards. He seemed ok with that

My system uses two push buttons on my steering wheel but could use buttons on the dash. DURITE make a rocker switch which fitts the large rectangular hole some times included in Westfield dashboards, they also make a bi-directional toggle switch with mometary makes.

The system requires a short push to start the flashing, which lasts for about 20 seconds (this can be altered in the build). a further press of the button will cancel the action. The hazard action requires an input of 12 volts from a switch, which must also illuminate a suitable light, this can be done even when the ignition is off as required by MOT.

The system does use minature relays, but has the advantage of being able to drive LED or regular indicators. I can email you the circuit and other info if you require. I recon it would make a good winter project.

By the way I drive a Westi with a 300 bhp 4.3L heater under the bonnet which is why i chose to use relays,so as not to have to bother with heat sinks.

Edited by ian clear

Interested Ian, if that's OK, I can be reached at ao@sprint-xe.com

Thanks!

I presume you're using a momentary contact closure for the left, another for right, and then a single one for hazard operation?

(interested, as you may gather!)

Yes you have got it right. can send you a copy.

Took my self canceller off. Blooming nuisance, have a beeper to remind me you tend not to forget when there is no self cancel.

My system can be cacelled by a second press of the button.

By the way I was brought up in Coney Hall. West Wickham.

Edited by ian clear

I'd love a copy thanks. I'm an electronics kinda guy :-)

If you can supply an emai address I will oblige.

My system uses two push buttons on my steering wheel but could use buttons on the dash. DURITE make a rocker switch which fitts the large rectangular hole some times included in Westfield dashboards, they also make a bi-directional toggle switch with mometary makes.

The system requires a short push to start the flashing, which lasts for about 20 seconds (this can be altered in the build). a further press of the button will cancel the action. The hazard action requires an input of 12 volts from a switch, which must also illuminate a suitable light, this can be done even when the ignition is off as required by MOT.

The system does use minature relays, but has the advantage of being able to drive LED or regular indicators. I can email you the circuit and other info if you require. I recon it would make a good winter project.

By the way I drive a Westi with a 300 bhp 4.3L heater under the bonnet which is why i chose to use relays,so as not to have to bother with heat sinks.

sounds very similar to the box i use. its some sort of motorbike thing that came on a bulk buy a few yrs back. I think norman may have organised it. it too uses a single press to get them going and you can stop them by pressing again too. the number of flashes (3,5 or continuous) depends on how long you hold the buttons down. the annoying thing with it is to get the hazards going you have to press both at once rather than having a separate feed in. as the whole thing has been potted (i think thats the right term) you cant get to the electronics to see how it does it. I use two buttons on my steering wheel that feed 2 relays as i think the box cant cope with the current for the lights or something like that i cant quite remember.

anyway my email is dominic/banks/at/ntlworld/com just replace the slash with dots :) cheers