Hullavington Track Day 3 Sep 12

jonclancy

Mooch and I have booked for a track day on 3 Sep.

Anyone else coming along? It'll be the XI's first outing on a track/airfield circuit.

Paul, if you're able to come, I'll look forward to returning the ride I had in the Track Nail (but somewhat slower and more cack-handed!).

Cheers

Jon

Jon says can he have another couple of circuits with the TrackNail, but could you go a bit quicker this time.... ;)

Looking forward to seeing you both again. Fingers crossed for good weather!

I think we went fast enough this time... :t-up: Thanks Paul!! Always fun going bonkers in the TrackNail!!

What a day! I learned loads, got some smashing pics (uploading overnight - links tomorrow), and took the XI into a rev range that she is not really familiar with. And stayed there most of the day!

Thanks to Mooch for flagging it up and a HUGE, HUGE thanks to JL who offered expert advice, engineering support, encouragement and his time to help a couple of greenhorns on the way to becoming half-confident with our cars on the track.

Flippin' Ace!

HUGE, HUGE thanks to JL who offered expert advice, engineering support, encouragement and his time to help a couple of greenhorns on the way to becoming half-confident with our cars on the track.

Flippin' Ace!

:t-up: :t-up: :t-up: +1 for thanks to Jonathan L for giving up his time and knowledge. Not just track tuition, but set up as well - it was like having our own race engineer and my car actually handles like it is supposed to now - It's a different machine altogether. I checked the damper settings from the original set up data sheet and it showed 10 clicks front and 12 clicks rear had been dialled in, yet we found it was 0 clicks at the front and 1 at the rear on the car so it hadn't been done in the first place. And I was wondering why I was getting so much understeer! Now it's sorted, I'd love to know how much quicker I was today over last time.

I can answer that one for you Mooch... MUCH! ;)

(as my videos testify)

Highlights of the day for me;

1. Jon sliding me round the corners in the XI, it just seemed so *right*, perfect control, loved it thank you!

2. Jumbo snapping a rocker cover bolt off & turning an oil weep into a full on torrent, then fixing it :d

3. Danny's revelation that his 'lion weren't no p***y'!!

4. All my passenger's faces :d :d :d

5. Keeping up with the stupidly quick green atom

Great day of airfield hoonery ;)

How did you all find the track all? I'm there on the 26th of October.

I live 4 miles away so it's handy.

Mike

Edited by Terzo204

Jon, pm'd you (twice ;) )

Doh - been online and not seen the notification!!! :o Better glasses, methinks!!!

Mike, from Sherston, come through Norton and towards the M4 Karting Hangars. Just beofre you get to the hangars, turn right into Hullavington Airfield and follow the peri-track at 15MPH tops around to the pit-lane.

Paste these into google maps:

51.535208,-2.136686

51.534958,-2.144482

51.532108,-2.140308

51.53373,-2.131489

Pit lane: 51.532428,-2.13324

Jon, think Mike means how was it, not where is it :d

Mike, if I've interpretted correctly... fast straight; fast(ish) right; slidey wiggles, right, left, right, left; opening left through the scary concrete bits; fast straight with a left kink; fast(ish) left; chicane; fast straight; hairpin; repeat 'til you overheat ;):laugh:

It's quite a long track with good run off appart from the scary concrete bits

There's a few stones

There are a mixture of dog walkers, horse riders, delivery vans, mobility scooters, people with guns on the perimeter that cause yellow flags :d

Motorsport Events are excellent

How would you rate the circuit? This will be my first airfield track day.

The stones worry me, I managed to take a chunk out of my rear wing at Donnington and I don't want to damage it any more.

Mike