Westfield 4Pot Caliper Brake System

westy21

Something like this?

(ignore the big photo at the top, the smaller phot part way down looks like it shows the actual pads.)

http://www.bigbrakes4u.co.uk/hi-spec-brake-kits/hi-spec-brake-kit-replacement-pads/hi-spec-ultralite-4-replacement-pads/hispec-mintex-1144-replacement-pads-for-ultralite-4-kits/prod_1325.html

The thread here has some handy part numbers, and also other calipers that use the same pad.

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/94642-brake-disks-and-pads-what-are-they-and-can-i-change-them/

• 2 weeks later...

Yes the Westfield badged lightweight four pot front callipers are Hi Spec Ultralights, they take an Elise pad. The lightweight rears with hand brake mechanism are also from Hi Spec. (Hi Spec sell them with and without Hi Spec markings as well as doing branded versions for companies like Westfield.)

Are the CAT motorsport 4 pot calipers the same units/size?

Far as I know yes specs I've seen seem identical.

Lots of concern on brakes all of a sudden.

I would call CAT and ask what spec caliper to compare with, they are a friendly and nice bunch and happy to help.

Whilst many have personal choice on pads, I would stop short of calling any one crap or poor, just some are better suited to ones driving style. I would be very sceptical that the pads are stopping anyone locking up...sure they would be if they are 30mins into a track day and perhaps outside their operating temp, but in the context written of road use I find that very hard to believe. That is not to say that the posted comments we're not observed, far from it, but I suspect this is a bleeding issue. The pads are the same size and the callipers applying the pressure are the same, hence the same force is available to both pads. Yes temp will play a big part, but not at road speeds.

Now before we all jump up and down and say how perfect we can all bleed brakes, this is not a flaming as clearly you all can as you now have the brakes you want, but bleeding the systems in these cars is notoriously difficult and even a tiny amount of air in a non servoed system will have a massive effect.

For the record I threw EBC green stuff pads out and fitted mintex, but the previous owner of my callipers fitted the EBC green stuff pads and loved them.....horses for courses.

I would really blend the brakes, took me over 40 mins to do the rears on mine last time.......20 or 30 pumps of pure fluid and then..... A few more bubbles.

If yu want to upgrade, then crack on, but do the maths to make sure that it is an upgrade. We see a few people swapping from one brand to a different one in terms of upgrades but end up with smaller overall pad size and thus less clamping force. Upgrades also include the fluid and the disc diameter, often overlooked but cheaper and often a better solution.

I hear what your saying Mark, but I have the same set up as the original poster, and I'm not that impressed.

I spent ages bleeding them, and working on them in general to get the fronts to lock before the rears (in the end I fitted a prv to the rears) Incidentally I always felt they didn't feel quite as good after fitting the prv.

The IVA tester said they were spot on, and even side to side, and I know the fronts lock due to repeated testing :d so I presume they're bled okay ???

They work okay but lack feel and initial bite, at least for my liking. The pedal is firm too, and not spongy at all.

So I think it's mintex, or maybe padgids for me.

Oh I agree, I only got on with mintex for exactly the same reasons, I liked the initial bit and this inspired confidence, more so when switching to a bigger master cylinder. I was perhaps more emphasising that many an issue is indeed bleeding related, specifically when apparently a pad change can now perform lock ups when the others could not.

I still do not doubt nor question what was posted in terms of what was experienced (1 set able to lock up another not so), but I do in terms of the reasons given. The pads and system would be able to haul down a 1200kg car happily, so a 600kg westie should be lock up central. The pads should only change the feel and opperating temp range.

Have got DS2500 (in a different caliper) at the moment, really not keen on them when cold after having Mintex M1144's; have learned to approach the end of my road with caution now, it's on a hill and the first time I brake when setting out. Nearly s**t myself with the Ferodo's when I first braked for the t junction, didn't think I was going to stop. Thought I was going to bend the brake pedal.

Yet when warmed up, the brakes stop the car like you've run into a brick wall.

I was actually going to look up who posted a while back about the Carbone Lorriane pads to see how he was getting on with them as they sounded like a really interesting alternative... bitey like Mintex, but dust free.

FWIW, I've still got EBC greens in mine at present and they still don't inspire confidence (>1000 road/track hasn't changed my view on them) - now that things are settling down, it's time to get them swapped out.

There are so many variables with brakes. Some say it is easy to lock the brakes, if you fit £10 tyres it will be much easier that super sticky toyos at operating temperature. As Mark says pad choice is another variable, different front to rear may well work at one temp but not at another, one brand will have more feel but may well not brake as well repeatedly.

The biggest issue is getting used to the none servo fitment. You will be surprised at how much leg pressure is really needed to make a sytem work, genrally most servos work at double the input pressure but some are much higher dependant upon the system design.

Braking should not be an issue on a Westfield as even the basic set up with Cortina calipers was designed to stop a ton and a half of car plus caravan and passengers, which they do. A 600kg Westfield is an easy task for them.

Are the CAT motorsport 4 pot calipers the same units/size?

The answer to this question is YES so long as you have CAT calipers under 10 years old.

I have their older ally 4 pots which take a larger pad. I can get EBC Green Stuff pads (part no. DP2001). Trouble is I don't like them. I would much rather have a set of Mintex 1144. Anyone know how I can get a part number for the latter? Pad dimensions are 100mm x 60mm. Pin hole centres are 82mm.

Westy21

When you bled them, did you do all bleed nipples as the Hispecs have two per caliper. My inner rear nipples held air which slightly affected the overall braking, it may help.

Bob :(

I was actually going to look up who posted a while back about the Carbone Lorriane pads to see how he was getting on with them as they sounded like a really interesting alternative... bitey like Mintex, but dust free.

FWIW, I've still got EBC greens in mine at present and they still don't inspire confidence (>1000 road/track hasn't changed my view on them) - now that things are settling down, it's time to get them swapped out.

That was Steve D. The CL pads are a bit extreme for 7 cars, sparks fly of them due to iron particles in the pad mix.

And the iron fileings then embed them selves into your alloys.....good at night with sparks coming from the wheels though. Reroof DS 3000 I think we're the same.

Tango Squadron, I had them as well, same as the old Dynalite callipers. I think the pad is 1796-1144 or 1796-1155 for mintex 1144 or 1155.

Bob,

Your point about each Caliper having two bleed points is noted. Each time l bled the brakes l tried two different ways. The first was to bleed each nipple separately and the second was to bleed the two nipples at the same time. I am not convinced that one way was any better than the other. I note however the comments of Marc that twenty/thirty pumps was not unusual with an odd bubble still possibly apparent. I certainly needed many pumps of the peddle on the first bleeding exercise but no more than ten or so on the last two attempts.

I used DOT4 fluid and l hear some guys are using DOT5. I didnt feel that was necessary for road use and the factory confirmed that they use DOT4 on their Factory Built road cars.

Westy21