Illegal Jerry Can Use

FILFAN

Went to get my track day fuel last sat only to be refused Petrol at my local morrisons.

They wouldn't let me fill up my cans saying that I was only allowed to fill up 1 large can or 2 small ones saying that the law changed after that idiot decided to poor petrol in their kitchen while cooking dinner and set fire to the place.

I was in work van and said it was for commercial use but had no effect.

Went over the road instead and filled up my 4 cans.

The mrs had a quick look online later and it turns out that its illegal to store fuel in more than 10L. And you could be prosecuted for carrying a dangerous load for havin a 20L jerry can in your vehicle.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FILFAN

• CL290005

• Wile E. Coyote

• Norman Verona

That's news to me, I regularly fill up a minimum of 3x 20l cans when heading away for the boat. Only filled up last Friday but have noticed recently that they have a look to make sure its a proper container, once they didn't not turn pump on till I held it up for them to see.

If it is true it basically turns most of us who enjoy track days and other Motorsport into criminals. Could understand it if I was filling up plastic bottles

I thought you could still use the 20l cans but only put 10l in them.

Easy way around it is to use a pay at the pump one after hours. But I gues your still carrying it

Dont use the supermarkets, full of jobs worths .

I use a local station, they like the trade.

Makes me laugh you can still set fire to your kitchen or self with 10 litres of petrol if your thick enough :bangshead: so reducing it to 10 litres is just daft and pointless.

IMO of course.

I believe this has come about by what is called PETEL's which is an update and due to come into force.

You are allowed under the petroleum act only to keep 15l at a domestic residence other than that you need a liecence

You can fill up for use greater quanties but not necessary store unles the above applies, extract of the new Petal is below which should apply as you can see if you need larger quanties ideally you should be seek permission from the operator in adavnce

3.3 Petrol filling station operators may have their own internal policy on the types and numbers of containers they are prepared to fill; frequently one or two 5 litre plastic and/or one or two 10 litre metal. This is a policy decision made by the filling station operators based upon commercial, operational and site specific safety criteria but is not a legal requirement imposed on them.

3.4 Where it is necessary to fill bigger or a greater number of containers at a petrol filling station, this should be done with the prior arrangement of the licensee so that additional control measures can be put in place. Guidance on the appropriate control measures can be found in section 8.5 (19) of the ‘Red Guide’5.

4 Suitable Containers

4.1 The suitability of a container for use with petrol depends upon the particular activity or storage situation. Appendix 1 summarises the types of containers and where they can be used by either private individuals or people at work depending on the different circumstances. Suitable containers are generally defined according to the legislation detailed in paragraph 2 above as:

(a) Metal Containers. A metal container is suitable if it satisfies the constructional and labelling requirements of the Petroleum-Spirit (Motor Vehicles etc) Regulations 1929. That is to say, a metal container of a robust construction that is fitted with a cap that will prevent any leak of petrol or its vapours and is marked/labelled with the words ‘Petroleum-spirit – Highly Inflammable’;

The maximum size of a metal container that can be used for storage by a private individual without prior notification to the Petroleum Licensing Authority is10 litres. Larger containers may be used for transport and hence the maximum size of container that may be filled at a petrol filling station varies between 10 and 23 litres depending on local circumstances or agreements.

The above is for dispensing, the below is for transport

Private Individuals:

7.10 Private carriage of petrol is exempt from ADR provided it is carried in containers of less than 60 litres capacity and the total quantity is less than 240 litres; ADR does not specify the type of container that can be used. However, there is a safeguard insofar as the Model Conditions of Petroleum Licence place a restriction on the types of containers that can be filled at a petrol filling station; ie (a) to (d).

7.11 As ADR makes an exemption as outlined in 7.4, it has to be presumed that ADR applies to private individuals transporting petrol where the load exceeds 240 litres or the containers are of a capacity greater than or equal to 60 litres.

7.12 Only containers that can be legally filled at petrol filling stations should be used for private transport activities. The number of containers and quantity of petrol carried should be keptto the minimum necessary for the purpose.

Remember its no good arguing with a site operator as he has the responsibilty to authorise filling and can prevent filling at any time so working with them is the best option

Interesting - as I usually take 2 full 20L cans to a track day and have another 2 20L cans of diesel stashed away after the last threat of a strike....so at any time I've got 80L kicking about.....better get a license :laugh:

Greig we are talking spirit here so Diesel does not come under these regs.

Transporting is ok and filling is ok as long as when exceeding the limits which in this case is 2 x 10l containers you get permission, but storage is a different game and everything is fine until you have an incident then you will get the book thrown at you, if its in a domestic property. Vapour is the danger so preventing escape is the importance if you have a leak then the quantity of liquid flashes off causing the danger, the more liquid you have the more that will fash off and make a flammable atmosphere, the bigger the bang!

Puts me in mind of ex F1 driver Jops Siffert , who travelled the lenght and breadth of Europe in his US made estate car , the car was fitted with a special "emergency" fuel tank , it held 300 gallons !

apparently petrol was very cheap in switzerland compared to the rest of europe :t-up:

Check your home insurance policies too, some of them mention a limit as to how much fuel you can store...

Sounds like one of those regs that isn't policed until it goes wrong. Then you lose the insurance claim and get prosecuted.

Norm.

the problem is how would they police it, as can be seen here we all do it, plus we have heard the horror stories of idots storing in open barrels etc. Its dangerous stuff!

That's what I meant, it cannot be policed so the penalty comes when it goes wrong.

I used to run petrol stations. You wouldn't believe what people tried to fill. I've had to refuse a saucepan, a lemonade bottle, petrol cans with clingfilm and an elastic band a cap but the best had to be a plastic bucket - with a split down the side!

There were probably more but those are the memorable examples.

Daft I can only store a small amount in a can but it would be completely fine to have 2 cars and a bike in my garage containing 150+ litres

My favourite topic - I bought 75 litres this morning in Balsall Common - got challenged as it was in 3 x 20l cans and 3 x 5l cans...... the answer that i'm not storing it but using it during my working day always works.,.... used 500 litres on diesel in the mulcher as well..... Great day...... james