Rover Sd1 Gearbox In Seight

MrG

I'm a new member looking to buy an SEight (will be my first Westfield). I have a few potential options available (a couple soon to be available), but one of the current options has a 4.6 engine with a Rover SD1 gearbox. Although I've not yet viewed the car, the seller has already mentioned (during a phone conversation) the SD1 gearbox and seemed to be suggesting that it might not be the best gearbox option out there (but is probably priced accordingly).

I clearly appreciate the sellers honesty and openness, but wanted to ask for opinions from those here that will have far more knowledge and experience than I have ...

Is the SD1 gearbox an issue in a 4.6 SEight, or should I not be concerned?

just fit t5 gearbox much better

I had an SD1 Rover very many moons ago. 3.5 model, with manual 'box. I had no problems with the 'box. However, the gears were quite far apart (ie widely spaced ratios) as far as I can remember, which wouldn't be so good in a "seven" even with a big lazey engine like the 4.6, I wouldn't have thought. I'm sure it would be ok for fun road use, but not ideal.

Like Pete says, my understanding is that the T5 is the box to use with the V8s, ideally, as I understand it, although I have to say I have no personal experience of V8 Westfields.

Peter G: would be great, but my budget probably won't allow me to buy an SEight and then buy T5 'box too, unless I can make do with the SD1 'box and swap to the T5 later (but would likely be much later.

StephenH: thanks for the input... most of my use is likely to be just fun road use, rather than anything competitive (perhaps very occasional track day, but just for fun too).

Having done a little more checking, it looks like at least a couple of the SEight options I'm looking at have the same SD1 gearbox, so I think I need to drive one to see what they're like and decide whether to hold out for a car with the 'right' (better) 'box or not.

Thanks for the input... would be good to hear from others too, particularly if you have experience of this 'box in an SEight, and also would like to hear about reliability too (some articles I've read seem to suggest the LT77 'box could be unreliable in the SD1).

I've had the SD1 (LT77) gearbox in my seight since i built it in 1997, although i brought a heavy duty type suffix 'D' i think that has better internals, upgraded my engine to a 4.6 engine, with somwhere close to 300bhp 2 years back.

The lt77 was originally fitted to the sd1 and many other heavy cars, even the vitesse (190bhp) version had one, but i think in a light westfield it does fine unless you are a 0-60 in as fast as possible type driver, it will last and give you good service, although there are better but expensive options.

Must say my lt77 isnt brilliant but does the job, although i would like to replace it with maybe the R380, but i am moving house, and this comes first.

At the end of the day, if it breaks you will have to fix it or replace it, this was my option when i fitted the 4.6 engine, i was prepared to break it, and when it did or does i will replace it with something better.

The T5 is excellent but will need chassis mods, and cost you close to £2500 unless you can find a used one for less, so is it really worth it.

Dont worry to much, with what people will tell you all kinds of horror stories about the 4.6 engine, some expensive if things go wrong, only exprience will help you understand what applies to you.

I you want to discuss anything further, i can let you have my number a proper chat.

hope this helps.

scott

• Like 1

Scott: Very useful feedback, thanks. I'll PM you if I'd like to discuss further once I've driven one. Thanks again.

sure no problem, if you need any advice just ask, i am glad to help.

regards

scott

i have a t5 in my v8 with tvr uprated gearset so has a 2.4 first gear cant remember the others .but 1st gear is fantastic .everyone else i know who run v8s dont use there 1st gear because its a waste of time .makes a big different having a good gearbox

• Like 1

Thanks Pete G... sounds like the T5 would be the way to go, if the budget permits (which it might not)... thanks for the input.

t5 do come up on ebay and i think the gearkit cost me £450 loads of documents on the internet on how to rebuild them.

the cosworth ones come with 2.98 first gear i think much better than something like 3.7.your get in a landrover gearbox.

I run a R380 which is a better option than the LT77 in that it can handle more torque. 5th gear is better but 1st is still not worth using. T5 is the best choice.

• Like 1

I had a Ginetta G27 with a JE Rover V8 and fitted a T5 from a TVR - in my opinion the SD1 is ok for a heavy barge but the ratios are wrong for a kit car.

IMO T5 is probably only worth it if you can find a box with bell housing from a TVR that will go straight in. Converting a cossie box can get expensive. The bell housings aren't cheap. Having said that I think the cossie gear lever is normally in a better place as they have a different rear on the box than the TVR.

If anyone wants an SD1 LT77 'D' suffix box and a bell housing to go with it let me know - I've got both kicking around in the garage.

Mike

Ps. Might be worth checking what ratio diff they have too.

Thanks for all the additional comments.

Mike H: re the diff, I'm not sure what ratio would or wouldn't be good though?

Hello again, i have a 3.14 with my T5. I think the factory use 3.36. The 3.14 are 7" whereas the 3.36 are 7.5" iirc.

Either is fine, i wouldnt have a 3.6 or above if i could help it unless you know you have the gear ratios and revs for it.

On the other hand diff ratio is easier to change than gearbox.

Mike