2.0Ltr Duratec

80BSY

Just wondered if anyone could point us in the right direction. Ok, I know it's not in a Westfield, and it only has the standard injection system, but being a common choice in Westfields I figured someone on here would know what was causing the problem.

It's an a Fiesta ST, issue is with starting. It will either fire up first time and run perfectly, or it'll take a couple of goes and splutter and die, then on the third go, start perfectly. Once running, it is 100%, thing is, it does this in no real pattern, it can be stone cold or fully warmed up, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

Car is 05, full Ford service history, and 60,000miles. It was coming up for a service when bought, so have done that, including plugs. Before we start changing things for the sake of it, it'd be nice to have some pointer.

We've looked on ST forum, and it seems a semi-common problem, but no one seems to have a rational answer on there.

Fueling ??

What happens if you turn ignition to prime, turno off and then back on - does it then always start?

have you had the fault codes read in case it show something up

A common fault with the Alfa 164 had what sounds like the same symptoms. A leaky section of pipe between the in-tank fuel pump and the outlet. Fine once going, but had a habit of causing starting issues....sometimes.

And on some models of the 155, if the car was sat in strong sunshine, the IAT sensor could overheat and convince the ECU it was sucking stupid-hot air..so they woudln't start.

Mention these as both were problems with Bosch parts very likely commonly used in many vehicles then and now.

I wasn't ignoring the possible answers, but since I started the post, it's started first time every time. Just going to see if this continues before investigating any further. Thanks anyway.