Drynads - a new development

abbeya

Seldom do we intend to set off in the rain, however I for one have been caught out a time or two, and ended up getting pretty wet, particularly when touring either here or on the continent. Water appears to come at you from all angles, but in particular under the door, up the sides of the car, down the door pull right into your lap - quite disconcerting! As a result I set out to improve the driving experience and have developed the Drynad, made to keep the all important parts dry.

These black plastic strips attach by double sided foam tape to the side of your car, about 10mm below the door sill, and by means of a channel along the bottom prevent water being blown up under the door and over the sill into your lap.

In the development they have significantly reduced the ingress of water into the car and reduced the amount of dirt sticking to the inside of the door.

I have had to have the 'blanks' CNC machined, before being finished by hand, and as the company would not prepare a single set I have had to have a few made up, hence I currently have 3 sets spare. These are cut to shape, and have been moulded to follow the contour of the wheel arch, so all you have to do is de-grease the side of the car and press fit as the tape is already applied.

£30 per set includes postage to UK.

PC210920-1-1.jpg

PC210921-2.jpg

P1000342-1.jpg

• Like 1

pm sent

wouldnt just putting some draft excluder sponge on the inside of your doors around the bottom edge have the same effect without having unsightly edging strips on your car

Like the thought process....

and surely if you paint them in body colour they'll be pretty unobtrusive and you can pass 'em off as aero aids... :t-up:

• 4 years later...

could just make some better doors.. WF ones are crap

could just make some better doors.. WF ones are crap

They do.

Unfortunately, as they're designed for the Sport Turbo, which has a higher windscreen and its own Hood design, AFAIK, they can't be used with regular hoods on the other car designs. (Though you can fit the taller windscreen to any Westfield, I think.)

The problem re weathergear, is that the factory believes a lot of the UK owners don't really rate it as a priority. Many  just using them as dry weather cars, the popularity of aeroscreens etc...

I'd love there to be a mk n hood and sidescreens, hell, I'd willingly be a guinea pig for it! 

They do.

Unfortunately, as they're designed for the Sport Turbo, which has a higher windscreen and its own Hood design, AFAIK, they can't be used with regular hoods on the other car designs. (Though you can fit the taller windscreen to any Westfield, I think.)

The problem re weathergear, is that the factory believes a lot of the UK owners don't really rate it as a priority. Many  just using them as dry weather cars, the popularity of aeroscreens etc...

I'd love there to be a mk n hood and sidescreens, hell, I'd willingly be a guinea pig for it! 

the issue isnt with the top of the doors - rather the poor sealing of the door to body and huge gaps caused by bad design. its the same for all sevens tbh, the amount of water coming off the front wheel is immense in heavy rain. the problem firstly is the door has no seal at all! 

Yes, but my point was the part redesigned doors happen to be taller making them incompatible with existing kit.

As for the design changes though, they include upper sealing tabs for the infamous screen pillar to roof gap, Velcro seals round the upper edge of door frame to roof gutter channel, front bellows sealing flaps between the lower leading edg of the door and the tub, longitudinal "armrest" style soft flaps that run front to back along the lower door and completely cover the cockpit sill protector when press studded in place, along with additional fixings to the rear lower edge of the door.

99% fixed this on the very old design doors by adding a flap of vinyl attached along it's top edge to the door, such that airflow coming up & under (with or without water entrained) closed the flap against the body.

The next iteration of door (the folding type with the moulded lower section) had a half decent seal and fitted better anyway so problem solved there too.

Haven't seen any of the latest version but they sound pretty good. Unless that's what we have already of course.

The OP solution looks effective as well, particularly if you don't have doors at all.

No, the latest version is only used as standard on the Sport Turbo.

At least one builder that I've seen had fitted them alongside the taller windscreen to an FW shaped car though.

The trouble is, because they match the height of the taller screen, they're too tall for standard ZK and FW weather gear.

And while the Sport Turbo, from a distance, if you squint, looks like an FW, up close, the tub is different, as is the scuttle, so I don't think, (but would be very happy to be proved wrong) that the Sport Turbo hood would fit on FW bodywork.

Obviously, it's a Westfield/Seven style car, it's never going to be perfect, but I have heard some very good feedback on the ST3 weather gear from those owners using them in Europe. Certainly much more of a seal than the current ZK setup.

There is a way to make your own doors.

I made them for my dax rush.

The bottom half of the door is ally 1mm. Using 4mm ss bolts along the join to 4mm lexan top half. So you have much better visibility. The top of the door should fit to any roof if you make it. Use card to get a correct template fit. Use your original hinges bolted to the lexan. The door can be sealed with proper rubber seals which push on the lower edges and seal against body tub side. Cost is VERY cheap and very effective. Door lower ally can be painted, left bare or covered in whatever matches. Iv got some pics somewhere...

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.