Aluminium Trailer Company

AdamR

Hi all,

Just a quick one - anyone seen/used one of these before?

http://www.allytrailer.co.uk/home

Seems like a clever design, I like the idea of something so light that can be stored very easily!

Thanks in advance for any input,

Adam

Edit: Title typing fail, sorry!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman

• Beez

• AdamR

• Paul D Turner

Not twin axle but I see it has 2 wheels each side. Looks very convenient particularily like that you can use it as a ramp to work underneath the car. but a gross weight of 750kgs seems a bit light weight to me, your car would have to be 590kgs or less and most Westfield's are heavier.

Mine weighed 619 kg with zetec 1.8, heater etc.

Nice idea but not for me.

Cheers john

If it could manage 650kgs then it would really open the market up for them I guess. No prices on the website which I have a pet hate off. My initial reaction is that there is no price structure, grrrr :(

I was suggested it as I have a size problem, but it not quite there. :angry:

Cheers John

They were at Stonleigh IIRC, not the most confidence inspiring thing in the flesh I seem to remember. The car seemed more perched on top of the trailer than anything. I remember thinking the main wheels looked tiny, even for a trailer. Plus it's unbraked, Which makes the allowable tow car/load combinations a lot more limited.

The bolt to undo and tab for the tilt mechanism seemed a little fiddly too.

They weren't particularly forthcoming about price at the show either,  ??? Once you dragged some costs out of them, they weren't particularly cheap, a figure around £1900 sticks in my mind.

The concept is a good one, just seemed that too much emphasis had been placed on making it unbraked etc. And that the pay off of using it as an impromptu car ramp wasn't worth the compromises.

Mind you, I've probably been spoiled, borrowing a twin axle Woodford in the past.  :oops:

If it could manage 650kgs then it would really open the market up for them I guess. No prices on the website which I have a pet hate off. My initial reaction is that there is no price structure, grrrr :(

To tow under the 750 kg unbraked limit, does that mean the maximum weight of car carried is 590 kg?

(That also means you need a 1.5 tonne or heavier tow car, - the trailer and load shouldn't be over half the weight of the tow car)

best just stick to the known named brands like Brian James which can {some models} fit into a standard garage anyway and then just park the car on top...

(That also means you need a 1.5 tonne or heavier tow car, - the trailer and load shouldn't be over half the weight of the tow car)

The actual percentage recommended is no more than 85% to kerb weight, and the caravan club advise if at all possible stay below 70%.

If it was 50% then most of the white boxes been dragged about would not be possible.

I think the legal ratio of car:trailer weight varies depending on if the trailer (and cargo) is braked or not? Something like that anyway.

I would be pretty close to the limit on both gross weight for the trailer (car is approx 620kg at the mo but I want to put it on a diet) and towing car weight (about 1550kg with me in).

Anyway - thanks for the comments gents, looks like the hunt for a Minno Max is still on!

The actual percentage recommended is no more than 85% to kerb weight, and the caravan club advise if at all possible stay below 70%.

If it was 50% then most of the white boxes been dragged about would not be possible.

The figure was from the DoT website  :D the 50% rule is for UNBRAKED trailers; hence my point that I think they've concentrated too much on the light weight aspect to get it down under the 750 kg inc load limit.  ;)

TBH, like I said, I do think they've had a good idea originally, maybe just got a bit side tracked in the design stages; I did feel sorry for them when I was having a chat on the Stoneleigh stand as they seemed to be getting a little bit of a rough ride as far as feedback from possible customers went.

When I towed the seven back in the 90's I had a Mk 2 Golf GTi. The max towing weight quoted in the handbook was 1250kg (1.25 tonnes I guess) and the covered trailer (not a light one) with car on it weighed close to that. Used it like that for 7 seasons with no problems but the kerb weight of the Golf was 980kg thus I was towing 125% of the car weight with no problems. Golf Mk3 TDi 90 coped just as well.

Paul