Website designer wanted

tomo

A friend wants a website for a new business venture he's considering (nothing to do with cars) and is looking for someone who could put one together for not too much money for him.  Some of you guys have great looking sites.  Can anyone help or point me in the direction of someone who can ?

Cheers

Simon

if its a start up save the costs and get him to learn flash, web designers do/should charge for every change made so it can be more cost effective to just do it yourself.  There is plenty of tutorials out there to learn the ropes...

Alternatively, tell him NOT to learn Flash as it is slow to load and most businesses want the information about their company displayed quickly and succinctly before potential viewers click the 'STOP' button and move on!

Flash 'looks' good once it has loaded but it is definitely not necessary to 'get the message across'. It is, however, reasonably easy to learn to produce your own web site using either Microsoft FrontPage (not considered cool but very affordable and does the job) or Dream Weaver (more 'techie' and more expensive but considerd to be more 'professional' - whatever that means...)

Shades of Zetec v Vx here .... ooops .....

Shades of Zetec v Vx here .... ooops .....

Not really cos Flash does take an eternity to download and can be a real pain in the  :arse:   :devil:  :D  :)

Agreed it can be slow but it depends what you are producing, if its simple stuff its ok.  Give it a couple years and broadband should be a bit more dominant and we wont have to worry about it anymore :t-up:

Combining a VX versus Zetec debate with this one is a bit tricky even though flash does seem to be slightly more bulky and heavy to download but does yield more powerful features :D  ;)

Combining a VX versus Zetec debate with this one is a bit tricky even though flash does seem to be slightly more bulky and heavy to download but does yield more powerful features    

Tee heee ......  :D

BLAHSPHAMEEE LOL here is my opinion  of flash and the wed site doctrine

Learn flash, its simply the now and future of web design.

Lets settle a few misconceptions and common beginners faults with flash.

Firstly it is a relatively easy program to use to build effective and unique websites, but also any good flash programmer will tell you that its depth astound them and many people only really ever understand about 10% of that this thing can do.

ITS SLOW TO DOWNLOADS. Not rue, the reason flash web sites are slow is that may people cram pack them with flashing lights and animations just because they have recently  learnt how to do them -_ TRUST ME any serious flash programmer is not impressed by these bell and whistles, and your average user soon gets board of the excessive downloads times these items have created, flash is a tool of DESIGN, its a creative art that allows you to create concepts html would struggle with.  And puts the fun back into web sites, don’t about you but im board with the genre of dull information web sites. – not necessarily related to flash, but how cool would it be to view westy products on line, and not just see crappy clip size pictures of them because people are so backward in their thinking about downloads times and file sizes, how about fully 3d renditions in any angle you choose of them at any size you choose, accurate scaling so that you could use these models to really view the products be fore purchasing.  Think about it.. it cn be done and is not actually that difficult.

The reality is flash has a very powerful compiler and similar content sites in flash and html , the flash has been proven to be the smaller file sizes and thus quicker to download.

If you viewing flash site that take along time to downloads there is a reason for this, firstly the site contains items and activities that html could only ever dream about, and secondly your still living in the 80`s with a 56k modem.

Flash is not only the future of web design but it’s the Present of web design

Just don’t make the beginners mistakes and learn all these new and wonderful looking things, and cram them in just because you can.

Go to the macromedia site and heck out some of the flash show case web sites, they are truly awesome, ranging from flamboyant (yes long to download) to the practical (smaller , neater, and quicker than their horridly looking html cousins)

The real beauty of flash is its NOT just a web site tool, I use it regularly to create learning software for students, or you can make games, in fact the boundaries of flash are endless.. just your imagination

Anything you do in FrontPage you can do In flash, but not the other way around, but just coz its more complex doe not mean its harder or in fact better, its just a more competent and vaster tool, when comparing flash web sites to html make sure you compare like for like, you’ll be surprised many of the sites you visit have flash elements in them that you probably don’t even realise are there)

Dam that s along post

but no matter how good it is - it still doesn't have a spellchecker judging by your post Catflap  ;)  :D  :durr:

you mean like here  ;)

Sorry can't see a thing in my text only browser ???

It's horses for courses if you ask me. I've used Flash and Macromedia Generator on commercial web sites and they do have their uses. But for most database driven e-commerce applications I would prefer to stick with HTML that can be served directly from your database or via application server.

IMO Flash only sites are heavy maintenance when changes are required. I'm just thinking from commercial web site perspective though. I have seen some very good Flash only sites where its use is appropriate - Westfield Sportscars not included I'm afraid.

Mike

I agree on that, flash is more as a static presentation tool where data doesnt change.  ASP wins it for me on anything that requires some logic...

agreeeeed Andd haye iff u cannnt reed my speelin thenn itss not my falt :)

One of the benafits of being dyslexic is inow im rite and u r all rong ;)

HEHEHEH

Well, I'm not IT trained and was faced with a very similar situation a couple of years back - we needed to overhaul our website but didn't want to spend a fortune paying someone else to do it, so I taught myself how to use Dreamweaver and it's done the job thus far.  I think as long as your expectations aren't too high as to what you will be able to achieve as a novice, it is perfectly possible to to put together a decent looking, informative site yourself, using Dreamweaver or any of the other applications mentioned.

S