Best tool for cutting ali panels

Bean

I've got some 1mm aluminium sheeting to redo the transmission tunnel top, what's the best tool to cut it to shape?

I was thinking a decent pair of tin snips, anything better? ???

ehup beany

ive used the same trick fluke suggest for carbon in the past. upturned jigsaw held in a workbench and feed the metal into the blade.  H&S would prob freak but it seems to work ok with the right type of blade.

never had much luck with snips as they always seem to bend the surrounding metal (altho that might be down to the cr@p shears)

best way is get the local steel stock holder to cut it to size for you when you buy it?

Alternatively i use a good pair of gillbo tin snips and coat the blades with grease, never close the snips all the way and then its nice and smoooooth no nasty chuncks out of the edge.  Always try to have the waste side on the side of the snip that rolls it up.  Having said all this cutting from a large sheet is tricky and as some one has mentioned a jig saw with a suitable blade can be used.

Upside down jigsaw, I like the idea of that. :)

I have visions of losing fingers, managed to cut a nice strip off the workmate yesterday :blush:  :D

i got the metal free off my Dad, should have asked him to cut it.

What about the nibblers that run off a drill chuck?

If you have a vice for your drill, then same as for the jigsaw idea. Secure the drill and feed the metal through.

Me, I'd use a Dremel or an angle griner with the appropriate wheel...

I have seen hand held nibblers in the past; these have the benefit of less distortion than tin snips cause. They can also make fairly tight radius curved cuts.

edited to add

Like these on page 73 CarBuilderSolutions

I use a hand held nibbler they are expensive but I use them for cutting profiled cladding if you are local to Luton you are welcome to borrow it. Alternativly those nibblers that fit into the end of a drill are OK nibblers can be hired should cost around a tenner for a weekend and at least you will retain all your fingers.

lewis

Depends on the thickness of the ali whether a nibbler will work ok.

Jigsaw is fine - I clamp a straight edge along the workpiece then hold the shoe of the jigsaw tight against it whilst cutting to give a nice straight cut.

How about one of sh=item380032213364&_trksid=p3913.c0.m22" target="_blank">these?

A proper guillotine / folder is very useful but couldn't spot one on fleabay.

Cheers,

Eric :)

I use a hand held nibbler they are expensive

Scroll nibbler, cheap as chips. Will do 1mm ally no problems, with a reasonably neat cut. You'll need to go over the edges with a fine file/sandpaper after, but then you will with almost any cutting method.

How about a rip saw with a metal cutting blade? Like the one that cuts up a caravan in telly advert.

i use one of these at work a lot,better if you can borrow one though,not the cheepest,leaves a nice neet cut :p