MT75 Gearbox Oil

Sirius

Hi folks,

Just starting to get parts and fluids together for a full service on my new speed sport.

I've looked through the faq and searched but can't find a definitive answer to what oil the mt75 should use. Seems that Ford say ATF but others have suggested more conventional oils. Can anyone clear this up for me?

Whilst on a similar subject does anyone know what should go in the rear diff? Its the standard LSD item fitted to the speed sports also does anyone know what the diff is on the speed sport ratio/car its from?

Many thanks :)

I went in my local Ford dealers, I said "I want some MT75 gearbox oil" the partsman gave me a tin, it said on the tin Ford MT75 gearbox oil, I put that in mine. HTH  :t-up:

Same answer for the diff oil  ;)

Sorry if that sounds sacastic.

That was 9 years ago, never needed to top it up, if yours is new, why do you think it'll need topping up ?

Hi

Thanks for the info the car is new to me but built in 2001. I generally like to make sure that all the fluids in a vehicle are new and correct when I take on a new car.

Also although the car has only 14k miles on afaik oil has a time shelf life aswell and this oil will now be 7 years old.

Cheers :)

How are you going to drain the oil from both?

There's no drain plug  ???

You'll need some sort of suction device  :oops:

Either that or tip the car up  :suspect:

I've got a suction pump as my other car requires this for changing the rear diff oil as the fill on the car is totally inaccessibly with anything except a bit of hose.

MT75 oil is a special oil with a similar consistency and colour to ATF but it's not ATF, apparently. I have seen aftermarket oils in motor factors which claim to be for the MT75 but, IIRC, it was easy and cheap enough from Ford.

For a Ford LSD the oil doesn't need to be special so standard EP90 Hypoid oil will do.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin,

I'll head to the ford dealers this afternoon I think EP90 in the rear diff is convienent as the other car uses that aswell so have a couple litres on the shelf. :)

It would be handy if, when you get the oil for the 'box, you post up the small print off the label that dealsl with the specs the oil is made to. I'm after the ACEA number, and the GL rating, plus any other specification numbers or names, so that when we search in future, we'll have something solid to work on ;)

It would be handy if, when you get the oil for the 'box, you post up the small print off the label that dealsl with the specs the oil is made to. I'm after the ACEA number, and the GL rating, plus any other specification numbers or names, so that when we search in future, we'll have something solid to work on ;)

I've still got 3/4 of a tin in the garage, I'll have a look tonight and post it up  :t-up:

Whoever buys my gearbox on the other thread can have it.

Ahh, just remembered I believe there's a drain plug on the MT75.

The diff doesn't have one though.

IIRC, MT75 oil comes in 1 litre containers from Fraud which is not quite enough to fill an MT75. :bangshead:

Kevin

Ahh, just remembered I believe there's a drain plug on the MT75.

The diff doesn't have one though.

IIRC, MT75 oil comes in 1 litre containers from Fraud which is not quite enough to fill an MT75. :bangshead:

Kevin

Thats why I've got 3/4 of a tin left in my garage  :down:

Hi Folks,

I've just been down to the local Ford dealership for a few bits, plugs oil etc. I asked for some MT75 gearbox oil and he came back with this:-

gearoil.jpg

The writing on the bottle reads from top to bottom:-

1 045 737

97SX M2C200 AA

75W-90 BO

Ford Specification WSD-M2C200-C

07/05 PMS. NO. VFL 07 10 A

P817433

Paul - do any of those tie up with anything on your bottle? I queried this with the parts guy but he said he was sure that it was the right stuff.

Thoughts anyone. :)

Here Ya go

DSCF0028-1.jpg

There was no spec written on the MT75 oil bottle.

Sorry, it must be Fords little secret  :laugh:

Paul thanks for the picture. I wonder if this is a case of superseeding older parts with more generic ones I know that Toyota do this quite a lot which is a bit frustrating when the replacement items are of lesser design/quality.