What are the best brake pads?

geofff

Hi,

Just noticed a newbie posting and fought I'd put a link in too the FAQ section - but no question has been asked - unless I've missed it.

So my experience is:

Green stuff pads with standard cortina disks & callipers - effective but very little "feel".

Anybody else?

Ta

Geoff

:)

P.S.

Please remove post if I've missed the question being asked before in the FAQ section.

• 1 month later...

I had Green Stuff for a few miles and binned them in favour of Mintex M1144.

Much better pad, works better from cold, more feel, more ultimate power to I find.

I've been running Ferrodo DS2500 on my car. I don't like them as a road pad, the first couple of stops can be a little frightening if you're not expecting it!

I've just put in Mintex 1144s too, but not done enough miles to offer any opinion on these.

Andy

Looking at various Internet brake pad resellers there seems to be a large number of different types of Mintex 1144 pads. Is there a specific part number for the M16 version of the 1144 pad?

on westy 4 pots , I had hawk pads which were too grabby and dust was unbelievable , binned them  :arse:

switched to 1144 mintex and have no problems would recomend

:t-up:

• 3 weeks later...
Are the Mintex 1144s suitable for standard solid discs? The Rally Design link implies they are for grooved & drilled discs.

I had Green Stuff for a few miles and binned them in favour of Mintex M1144.

Much better pad, works better from cold, more feel, more ultimate power to I find.

Just replaced my ebc greens that had plenty of meat left on them with 1144s and found the same thing.

We run on 1144s (having switched from Green Stuff at the end of 2004)  --  solid discs in 2005, drilled/grooved in 2006. We find them excellent, giving more feel than GS. This experience is admittedly mostly sprinting.

I know that some of the faster SS competitors have also settled on 1144s, having tried several makes.

Except when you're behind another westfield? :oops:

1144 seem OK depending on the tyres you have fitted and how fast you are. At the weekend I was sprinting my race car with Hawk pads and the class leader was on Mintex 1144 pads and we both said we would not have wanted to do another lap on the pads we had on at the time(three lap sprint). The class leader had R888 tyres and I had A048s. The sprint lasted less than two minutes and both cars came back to the paddock stinking. When I had Ds3000 Ferodo pads fitted I did not have this problem so will be going back to them ASAP. HTH ;)

• 1 month later...
I have M1144 pads and have found them to be exellent with very little fade this has mostly been for road use however, I have heard as Matt say's that the ferrodo ds pads are very very good and offer fantastic  fade properties but they are a little more expensive, depends what your going to be using the car for really.