Speeding

Renmure

Took the Westfield megablade to work in Forfar yesterday. I was making 'good progress' along the Montrose - Forfar road, bright sunshine, dry road, no other cars in site. The road has a long straight, followed by a sharpish bend, then another straight. I took the bend, accelerated along the straight... then ... oops.. my journey was unfortunately brough to an abrupt halt when a traffic cop, pointing a speed gun at me, appeared from a layby and invited me to pull over. ARGH!!! .. I didnt have time to check the speedo before I saw him but was aware that it was likely to be something in excess of the 60mph limit.

The reading on the display was 84mph. S***. Both cops were friendly enough and one of them said they could hear me coming from about half a mile away. The other one said that by the sounds of it I had been going a fair bit faster before the twisty bit. Thankfully I avoided agreeing with him. They both showed lots of interest in the car and in bike engined cars in particular, how long I had owned it, how well it drove and handled etc. The chat from the police drifted toward the subject of speed and how driving a small but fast kit-car was only safe if the car stayed on the road or if it avoided other cars. In other circumstances the banter would have actually been enjoyable. All during the 'chat' I was waiting to be hit with the Bad News. But ..... no such bad news. The guy with the laser gun said that he hoped I would take the advice about safe driving, that he hoped he wouldnt have to pull me over again, and that in the circumstances (I am not too sure what exact circumstances he ment but I sure wasnt going to ask) I could continue on my journey having been so advised. Wot a result!! Jumped back in the car and progressed at 59mph all the way to work actually feeling a bit more respectful of the police for being good guys. Well... at least these 2 and on this occassion.

The funny thing is that I passed a traffic police car in the same place about 6 months ago when I was in the elise but I was going in the opposite direction and they were pretty visable. From the direction I was travelling today it would have been near impossible to see the car or the speed gun until you were on top of them. Still think its a bit of a waste of resources having policemen hiding in bushes and the like to catch folk speeding on clear roads but.... thanks guys.

Jim

(lucky git faction)

And if you do enter the lottery, pm me the numbers will ya... :D  :D

Lucky b*******, I've been let off before once or twice, it does give a nice feeling doesn't it that there are actually decent coppers out there?  :t-up:  :t-up:

My guess is they never got a reading of your plastic fantastic :-)

Cheers

Bazzer

they saw me and pulled out with flashing lights and were trying to catch me, buy the time they caught up i had slowed down to 40 as i entered a 40 limit and hence they didnt manage to get a calibrated speed check  :D  :oops:  :suspect:

i had slowed down to 40 as i entered a 40 limit and hence they didnt manage to get a calibrated speed check  :D  :oops:  :suspect:

:p Lucky b*******  :p

BTW - did you ever get in touch with Charlie Fleming / Roy Napier?

I didnt receive anything from Charlie.   :(       I did send Roy an email about Ultimas via his pistonheads profile but no reply so far.

Didn't somebody get nicked recently after they posted their speeding story on a forum like this one?

Think I would have to claim Double Jeopardy on that one.