engine swap to busa

andie "no fear"

can someone advise me on how eaey it is to convert a normal engined westy to a busa powered one? and is there a perticular one to go for? ???

i was gona build a new busa but think it might be cheaper to do this way.

andie

It is a BIG job. But it is perfectly achievable, and there is a lot more knowledge and advice around than when I did mine back in 2000!

But have you considered a second hand megabusa? Can get a high spec one for much less than they cost to build.

Depends if you fancy some spannering, or are just after the finished article!

i can sourse a busa engine fully ready to install including the re-maped ecu for 3k, is this a good price? this has full verification under 3k miles and comes with guarentee.

i thought i might be able to pick up an 2nd hand westy for bought 6 or 7k and do the transfer.

if i decided not to get a bike powered 1 which engine   do you recomend?

andie

???

I believe the going rate for 2nd hand busa engines is 2500-3000notes, so sounds about right. A new one is a bit over 4K I think. But you should budget 1500quid on a dry sump system, unless it is for road use only.

Most Megabusas run on a standard ECU, just with the fuel pressure turned up a bit using the adjustable pressure regulator.

budgeting for bout 10k and aint seen 1 lower than 12k yet thats why i was hopeing to do transfer myself. i'm no virgin to engine modding and have the tools for the job. just dont wona buy a 2nd hand 1 and find that the busa engine wont fit.

i realise i'll need a bike engine upgrade kit from westfield at the cost of £300 but not sure if thats all i'll need

andie

To fit it to a car engined chassis?

Its not that simple. The bike-engined chassis are quite a bit different. They have extra plates in the engine bay for the bolt in cradle. Some of the lower rails arent present. The transmission tunnel is considerably larger, and contains the mounts for the reverse gear box.

If you have a budget of 10K, you could consider buying a nice spec Megablade and see how you get on with that. If you want more, convert it to a busa. Converting a megablade to a megabusa is relatively easy because the new engine cradle will just bolt in.

Converting a car engined chassis to a BEC will involve lots of welding!

7k for a car, 3k for a busa engine.

what about reverse box?

Exhaust?

New springs and shocks (for the lighter car)?

Could get very expensive quickly.

Mike

might go for the blade power to start with then, and work up from that. havent liiked at any blade power ones so not sure on cost.

going to kit car show in may so have alook round there, cheers guys your'v been helpfull.

:t-up:

andie

font let us put you off, it is achievable but wanted to make you aware of the impilications.  if you were determined it had to be busa power, you could buy a cheap, narrow bodied x-flow or similar and go from there.  that could be achieved in 10k (at a guess) and the car would go like stink, but it would be based on an older car.

you makes your choices, you pays your money :D:D

personally i think we all need more lard - Vx flavoured lard :D:D:D