gas or water pipe

dombanks

i have found a pipe sticking up out of the floor under a kitchen cupboard. is there any way to tell if its a gas pipe or a water pipe before i call a plumber to find out.

its a copper pipe, is properly terminated, there is only one pipe. it is not near the sink. it could be an old heating pipe where some one has moved the radiator but who knows? if it is a gas pipe then it will mean the kitchen gets re thought out AGAIN :cry::laugh::bangshead:

Might be wrong but thought gas pipe had to have marking on it, ie Gas tape??

in an ideal world yes, but if it's an old pipe, or a DIY install then anythiing goes. I once smelt gas after laying a new carpet. One of the tacks had punctured an old copper gas pipe about 2mm under the surface of the concrete floor we were re-decorating.  Had no idea it was there.

I'm not sure if the average person can tell if it's gas or not without a "British Gas" professional sniffer device.

Is it 15mm or 22mm diameter? I have just refurbished our kitchen and found the stub of a 22mm pipe coming out of the concrete floor and it was gas.

Haha yes in an ideal world it would be labelled but this is a Victorian house converted to flats at some point by someone shonkey.

15mm OD pipe. Quite green.

Get one of the blank ends ready just in case. Then open it up to see. Not sure there is much other option? Also find out how to turn gas off first.

I assume it's buried in concrete so you can't easily trace where it goes or make enough space around it to cap it off below floor level?

If it is green , then it might be a cold feed , as they can condensate and tarnish, although that isnt anything set in gold to find out, to be honest, other than chasing it out and finding where it goes.

If it's green it could still be gas the flux turns the pipe green if it isn't wiped off!

But as said turn both gas & water off cut off, cap below floor.

If it's gas you will need to get someone who is gas safe registered to drop test it.

Get one of the blank ends ready just in case. Then open it up to see. Not sure there is much other option? Also find out how to turn gas off first.

I would turn off the gas at the meter and then undo the end to have a 'sniff' with the option to recap it if required

• Like 1

I would turn off the gas at the meter and then undo the end to have a 'sniff' with the option to recap it if required

Just for belt and braces, I'd turn the water off first too.  No sense in sawing into the pipe for it to p*ss everywhere while you run to the stopcock.

Just have a push-on 15mm stop end to hand.

You could turn the gas off and the water main, but if it is a heating pipe, it will still empty the heating system all over the floor. Also if it is a tank fed water pipe, you will empty the tank in the kitchen too. Shame 

Put the central heating on full blast and feel the pipe to see if it warms, also follow the line of the pipe with your hand to see if the floor warms.   If not conclusive, try turning on any  hot tap & switch washing machine on, in turn  and feeling the floor by the pipe again.  If it's a cold water pipe or gas your stumped by this method, it's open it up time, remembering where the main stop cocks/isolators are of course.

If your house is the same design as your neighbours and theirs has not been changed around, then a  bit of detective work comparing the locations of radiators, sinks, gas points etc. may help you track down your mysterious blanked of pipe.